• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed question

Omni Source

Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Good Evening

New to this forum, so I thought I'd get some fresh thoughts...
I have a 1968 Superbee that was originally a column auto. The person I bought it from converted to to a 4 speed. I've owned the car for about 5 years and I'm still 'tweaking' the clutch.

The clutch seems to have bind in it. When you depress it, it isn't smooth but rather jerky. I've been told that either the pivot or fork (or both) are incorrect. I have not pulled the tranny yet (winter project).

What does one look for? What part number (if any) are on the fork? Any ideas on anything else to look for?:confused:

Thanks to all who reply.:)
Omni

If the parts prove to be correct,there could be excessive wear or bent parts.The pivot bushings are split nylon and do wear out,the pivot studs can wear too.Bent pivot arms or adjusting rod are also possible.Check the transmission front bearing retainer where the clutch release bearing rides.It could be worn down and causing the bearing to bind.What type of clutch is in it diaphragm or three finger?A diaphragm clutch generally does not need an over center spring,which is installed on the factory clutch pedal assembly.Also since it is not a factory install,check that all pivot alignments are square,or at least close!When you do pull the trans,check to see if the clutch disc is installed correctly,there is a flywheel and pp side.The flywheel and pp surfaces could have hard spots too.Check too the bellhousing bore alignment to the crankshaft centerline.
RT

Hi : I know this may sound a little duh!! but check to make sure that the two stud bracket for the clutch pedal ,that goes through the firewall between the mastercylinder and the inner fender, has been installed properly, like welded to the fire wall ,so the pedal assembly works as one unit. This is often left out on a convertion as it is very difficult to install properly when everything is in place. Here`s a couple pics. You can only see the top 1/2 part of this bracket. Hope this helps and i`m going to watch this one to see how you made out. Fred

stuff 041.jpg

stuff 039.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back