• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400,000 miles

old-school

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this with everyone. I pulled the engine from a truck my brother-in-law bought new. He traded it in with 316,000 miles. A mechanic at the dealership who rebuilt the transmission a few years before got the truck. A patch of ice took the for a bad ride through the woods. At the time of the accident the truck had 398,000 miles on it. The oil was changed every 3k with synthetic.I tore it down today. Look at the cylinder walls. Still has cross hatch marks. Compression was low but I think it is the valves. Put oil in the cylinder and no changes. I guess what I am getting at is keeping up with the service really does make a big difference. The timing chain and guides are still tight. The engine has never been opened up. Still has the original plug wires.

20220402_140552.jpg 20220402_140548.jpg 20220402_140537.jpg 20220402_140530.jpg

2003 dodge ram 5.7 hemi. Forget that part. Thanks for the reminder.

The miracle of thin stainless steel rings, increased oil temperatures via hotter thermostats, and properly changed synthetic from break in on. Many of the late production small block magnums will also still have crosshatch after the 200,000 mile mark.

My son's 5.9 Magnum had virtually no cylinder ridge and showed crosshatch at 272,000 in his 3/4 ton hd. It was a masons truck filled with stone using a loader the sides we're all caved in.
It towed and plowed snow as well.

A 5.7 hemi has plug wires? Not coil over plug?

The earlier hemi 03-05 has coil on one plug and a wire to the other side for emissions I believe.

I've seen cop car n taxi cabs w the 4.6 SOHC engines w 400-500k miles. Cross hatch, gold color in the upper head rocker/cam area. They all used Rotella 5-40 synthetic at regular intervals.

Auto Transport Service
Back