• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 b block to 451?

68GTS340

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
what is involved in this parts swap ? is it as simple as a 440 crank in a 400?what kind of streetable hp can be had? (on pump gas}

what do you consider streetable? 451 or a 470ci engine can be built for a reliable 500+hp

That engine build requires crank and pistons i believe.... kit from 440 source is a good idea IMO

It is as simple as turning down the 440 crank to 400 mains. However, theres still homework to be done. The simple is now going away.

What rods will you use? 400 short or 440 long rods?
Then, theres picton selection based on rod and then the ratio you want with what head your running.

This 451 combo can and will make better power than a 440 due to the lighter, shorter piston and lighten rotating assembly as a whole.

Anything a 440 can do, a 451 can do better. Another nice thing about this combo is the shorter deck 400 block is alittle stiffer with I beileve better webbing in the main area. It's very good in the ealier blocks.

A tid bit;
The 383 can also make a kickin stroker going this route. It equals 425.6 cubes with the 440 crank, 471 cubes with a 4.15 crank.

I am looking into using the 400 block for a street motor on pump gas. considering it for my 40 coupe, the narrower block of the " b" vs the "rb" is why i am considering it ...easier to install in limited space. while still having the cubic inches.
I have not got into rod length vs piston pin height as of yet. my concern there would be in the rod angle,and side push on the piston. being an old school big block owner this is pretty much new to me ..so sugestions and explanations why are welcome.... as well as notching of the block for rod clearances ? any clearance problems with the long arm and the cam lobes?.. what else to watch out for?.. and to many of us using as many stock parts as possible in the most economical way to go ...of coarse within safety limits.... rod bolts etc.
yes 500 hp is a good range, as long as it is a motor that can live for a reasonable amount of time... i only want to do one ...and have it last a few years.is 50k {miles)to much to expect in engine life on one of these?
thanks for your imput...as now is the time to make changes in the plan

Anything a 440 can do, a 451 can do better. Another nice thing about this combo is the shorter deck 400 block is alittle stiffer with I beileve better webbing in the main area. It's very good in the ealier blocks.

A tid bit;
The 383 can also make a kickin stroker going this route. It equals 425.6 cubes with the 440 crank, 471 cubes with a 4.15 crank.

Anything a 451 can do a 470 can do better :D

400 block, offset ground 440 crank, bbc rods (smaller big end means no or little block grinding for clearance needed) lighter rotating weight than 451, revs like a small block etc................

Anything a 451 can do a 470 can do better :D

400 block, offset ground 440 crank, bbc rods (smaller big end means no or little block grinding for clearance needed) lighter rotating weight than 451, revs like a small block etc................

LOL @ Sledge. True, true. OK, 1 upmanship, He he he, a 400 W/ a 4.15 for approx. 500 cubes.

i just recently had a 451 stroker built out of a 400 B block, and i put it in my duster. I choose the 400 block because of the limited amount of engine bay clearance. For the price of finding a decent crank, having everything turned down...sizing rods etrc...I just went with an un-ballanced stroker kit from 440source, and had my engine shop balance it. I could not be happier...it has unreal hp and torque (~525/550) and it runs on pump gas with just under 10:1 comp. What is good about these motors, is that you don't need a crazy huge cam to make the power, which still makes them streetable.

When you say bbc rods are you talking about bbc aftermarket rods only or can the factory bbc rods be used?

Big block Chevy rods can be used but theres a moded rod out there that is labeled generic with MoPar mains. AKA, BBChevy rods with Mopar ends for the crank.

451 is a nice build. 500 hp is easy with that build. I use a .030 over 440 (446) in my 63 thats a mild build with 906 heads and it pulls right about 500 hp to push my 3700 lb 63 to 11.50's so far. It runs on 92 pump also and boy do I love that fact ! Ron

The best reason for "Chevy" rods is to get a smaller big end on the rod instead of the Mopar larger big end.

Less or no block grinding is required, not to mention a light rotating assy. A win win situation

Pick up the Dec.2008 Hot Rod and look at the 451 stroker motor. There are some great build up ideas. This build is blown but can get up to 1,400 hp on good gas and intercooled. They give you some naturally asperated hp and tq numbers That are pretty impressive.

Auto Transport Service
Back