• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 Block at .060 OS ??

I wouldn’t worry about the 400’s casting numbers, either one will make an excellent stroker build.

Well after pulling both spare 400s out of the motor pile, we found one is .030" over, and 1 is .060 over. The .060 over has no wear, maybe 500 miles. The 400 pistons in it look like new. So the next step is to sonic check both blocks and go from there. Found an ICON piston like what I want in .040 OS. IC823-40. Hopefully the cylinders will clean up OK with a .010 overbore, provided that block sonic checks OK. It's taking a month of Fridays just to find the right block. Haha.

Sonic test it. I have a early 400 block that came from a tractor puller with 440-1 Indy heads and aluminum rods/solid roller cam that is 4.432" (.090" over) with a 3.915" crank (483") and it sonic tests fine.

Sonic test it. I have a early 400 block that came from a tractor puller with 440-1 Indy heads and aluminum rods/solid roller cam that is 4.432" (.090" over) with a 3.915" crank (483") and it sonic tests fine.
Oh, well that's good news! Thanks. Is that a 230 block? What is the thickness on the major thrust (left) side of the cylinder? Viewed from front.

Yes, "230" large font '71 casting date. I don't remember the thrust side #'s but my machinist who measured it said it was thicker than almost every 454 Chevy block that he had bored .125" over with zero problems. He also did a marine 460 that measured way thinner on the major thrust at only .060" over!!

My 470 stroker (400 block, 3.90 stroke) is half filled. It had been together for 15 years b4 it was inspected. Only things changed were the valve springs and solid roller lifters. It’s been 5 years since. It has stock main caps with a 1/2 inch girdle. Kim

Nice, Kim. What type filler did you use in your block? Thinking about doing that to this 230 block, and going to .080 over. Here's the sonic test on it, at .060 over.
20190309_101403.jpg
20190309_101621.jpg

Hi Gary, don’t have that info as I bought my motor after it was inspected. It’s a 630 block. U have lots of of meat there to bore ur motor if u can get pistons. Kim

Hi Gary, don’t have that info as I bought my motor after it was inspected. It’s a 630 block. U have lots of of meat there to bore ur motor if u can get pistons. Kim
So I could go .080 over, without needing to do any block fill? I can get ICON or Diamond to do a custom set for a few extra $$$.

Well, decided to go with the .040 over block, and take it to .060 OS. But at 4.400 bore size, Total Seal only has 2 ring sets that have a gap. Plus not file to fit, and oil ring tension is 23 lbs! So not sure what way to go with the rings yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back