• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 engine (512 stroker) replacing 440 and 4 speed. Please educate me

Todd Millican

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
On Scott's speed shop he made reference to a shortened input shaft transmission for a 400. My 64 Sport Fury once had a 383-4speed. It now has a 440-4speed. I'm building a 512 stroker 400 to put in it instead. It's an 833, not sure how many spline yet, I haven't pulled it apart yet. Using a 440 source kit. I hadn't thought about input shaft length. Assumed they were compatible. Do I need to do something to make this match work? Thanks in advance. The previous owner passed, so I can't ask unfortunately.

If you are buying a stroker kit from 440 Source, the crank should already be drilled for a 4-speed, if that is what you are asking. OEM cranks that were in automatic cars were usually not drilled deep enough or finished for a 4-speed input shaft, so guys would just cut 3/4" off and run a pilot bearing instead of bushing.

The 4.25" stroker crank for the 440 I have from 440 source was drilled for the pilot bearing, but not finished to size.
The hole needed to be reamed to size for the pilot bearing to press-in correctly.
When I changed from the 833 4-speed to the 5-speed OD transmission, the transmission kit came with the roller pilot bearing, so the bushing wasn't needed if you use the roller pilot bearing.

Auto Transport Service
Back