• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

408 Stroker

zsn0w

Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to get some thoughts on a stroker build I'm thinking of doing. I'm going to be getting a new Jeep for driving in the winter, and I'm planning on swapping in a 46re and 5.9 magnum from a truck into it. Originally, I was thinking I'd leave it a stock bottom end and just put a cam on it, headers, intake, swap to carb, better heads, etc. I just want low end since it's going into a Jeep that's intended to be used for snowy driving and camping. Won't be going over 4000rpm much at all I wouldn't think.
Started thinking maybe at that point I should just build a stroker? Spend the $1400 on a stroker kit or put one together myself instead of buying a bunch of little things, put a cheap carb intake on there and a 750 CFM carb and be good to go with all the original accessories otherwise. How do you all think this would perform? I know the heads will severely limit it up top, but I really don't care about top end at all for this. Plus later on, if I want to perk it up a bit, I could always add heads. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Zack

Love my 408.....

Wow, found a video of basically the exact build I want to do, and the motor kicks ***!

Strokers are good, sounds like a good choice of parts for the intended use.

I built a low compression (9.4 to 1) 416 stroker out of a 340 block for my Road Runner. Now I have aluminum heads but a very mild cam. Lots of torque and runs great.

If you want details, check here:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-hawk-rod-resurrection-roadkill-style.213411/
Thanks for the link, read through the whole thing over the last few days, looks awesome. I actually have a 74 RR so it's nice to see a cool 73!

I think I am actually going to pivot this a little bit since I am now planning on building up a 383 for my roadrunner where previously it was going to be a higher performance 408 as well. I have a 360 LA block I was going to use for that and a set of X heads and an ld340 on the RR right now, so I'm going to use those with the stroker kit for the Jeep. That gives me some money back in the budget for a nice flat tappet cam. Working from an LA base instead of magnum gives up the roller cam, but it makes dealing with the limited carbed magnum intake options a non-issue. I also can reuse my headers (if they fit, fingers crossed).

I think I am actually going to pivot this a little bit since I am now planning on building up a 383 for my roadrunner where previously it was going to be a higher performance 408 as well.
At the risk of being captain obvious: :poke:
Think through the entire plan. Obviously a big block will need different motor mounts, accessory brackets, transmission and I'm sure lots of other small parts here and there. The parts needed other than the engine are not trivial.
I had an available big block engine and transmission for my 73, but elected to keep it a small block based car due to all the brackets and miscellaneous small crap I would have to source to switch it over.
Plus, I can now keep the 340 decals on the hood bulge! :D

At the risk of being captain obvious: :poke:
Think through the entire plan. Obviously a big block will need different motor mounts, accessory brackets, transmission and I'm sure lots of other small parts here and there. The parts needed other than the engine are not trivial.
I had an available big block engine and transmission for my 73, but elected to keep it a small block based car due to all the brackets and miscellaneous small crap I would have to source to switch it over.
Plus, I can now keep the 340 decals on the hood bulge! :D
The main sticking point is shelling out for a new transmission, but right now it's a 318 with a 3 speed manual:wtf:. I wanted a 4 speed anyway, so it doesn't change the plan too much. Plus it's a non A/C car so that's at least one accessory I won't have to worry about. I think if it were a 360 I would probably keep it, but since I need to swap the trans and whole motor anyway, I want to go big block. Plus, there's something that feels right about a 383 in a roadrunner. Especially compared to a 318.

Auto Transport Service
Back