• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

411 on what the "kids" are up to these days...

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
AAQjPOd.png
Business Insider

Why teens are giving up their smartphones and joining the 'Luddite Club'​

[email protected] (Avery Hartmans) - 1h ago

1666612136243.png

Welcome to a new week, readers. Writing to you from New York, I'm Avery Hartmans.

When was the last time you used a flip phone? For a lot of us, it's probably been years, maybe even more than a decade. But for the teenage members of the Luddite Club, flip phones have become the norm. They're giving up social media and relying on face-to-face conversations in an effort to free themselves from the attention-hogging tyranny of smartphones.
Personally, I'm not ready to give up my iPhone just yet, but I think they're onto something.
We're exploring that and more — including a new phenomenon called the "toggling tax" — below. Let's dive in.

AA13jm76.jpg

Rachel Mendelson/Insider© Provided by Business Insider
1. How one smartphone-addicted teen learned to become a Luddite. High schooler Lola Shub was a self-described "screenager," snapping selfies and mindlessly scrolling through social media. When a friend ditched her smartphone for good, it inspired Shub to swap her iPhone for a flip phone.
  • Shub is now part of the Luddite Club, a group of New York City teens who meet at their local library. The club has only one rule: no smartphones here.
  • Since giving up her smartphone, Shub says she has more space to think creatively, more time to read, and better concentration. She and many of her friends have given up Instagram and they prefer phone calls over texting.
  • "If I have one overarching message for my fellow teenagers, it's this: Spend time getting to know yourself and exploring the world around you," Shub writes. "It's so much more fulfilling — and so much more real — than the one inside your expensive little box."
Here's how this teen put down her smartphone and learned live in the moment.
In other news:

AA13fR20.jpg

VCG/VCG via Getty Images© Provided by Business Insider
2. The fate of the world economy may depend on a company many Americans have never heard of. Taiwan-based TSMC is the world's biggest chipmaker — its chips power everything from cars to washing machines to iPhones. But as tensions escalate with China, the fate of Taiwan hangs in the balance. Here's why trillions of dollars could be at stake.

3. Twitter insiders brace for Elon Musk-induced "chaos." Musk appears to be days away from owning Twitter, but so far, he's done little to no work to transition the company under his control, insiders say. In the meantime, staffers are bracing for huge job cuts and an overhaul that would turn Twitter into a "super app." Everything we know so far.
4. It's time to make Facebook Facebook again. As Mark Zuckerberg focuses on his metaverse passion project — and spends $15 billion in the process — Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp are being neglected, Insider's Travis Clark writes. Here's why it's time for Zuck to refocus on Meta's core apps.
5. Snap is giving up its San Francisco office. Amid slowing demand from advertisers, Snap embarked on a major restructuring that saw 1,200 full-time employees get laid off and multiple projects canned. Now, Snap is giving up its lease in the nation's tech mecca. More on that here.
6. Decade-old Tesla Roadsters are selling for over $100,000. Tesla only ever produced around 2,450 of its two-door convertible, and the Roadster's value significantly depreciated over time. But Roadsters are having a bit of a renaissance these days, selling at auction for as much as $212,000. Why Tesla Roadsters are becoming hot collectibles.
7. Inside Amazon's medical ambitions. A group of Amazon scientists and engineers recently convened an AI enclave to discuss an audacious goal: how machine learning could revolutionize areas like drug discovery, genomics, and clinical trials, much like Google's pioneering AI lab DeepMind. It appears to be part of Amazon's plan to become a serious player in the future of medicine.
8. All that toggling may be burning you out. A recent study found that workers are toggling between different apps and websites up to 1,200 times every day, and the switch to working from home is at least partly to blame. It's leading to feelings of burnout — and creating a "toggling tax."
Odds and ends:

AA13eLWR.jpg

Gas app screenshots© Gas app screenshots
9. A new app is dethroning TikTok and BeReal. Called Gas, the anonymous app for high school students has an unusual mission: gassing people up (translation for the rest of us: giving compliments). The app lets users send anonymous compliments to their peers through polls — here's it works.
10. The streaming services that get you the most bang for your buck. If you're subscribing to all nine major streaming services, you may be paying as much as $95 per month — and prices are only going up. Keep reading to find out which platform will give you the most content for your dollar.

I'm about to go to a damned flip-phone again.

No problem for me. I have a smart phone, but with no data plan. So, it's just a phone.

For those who don't remember, washing machines used to work fine without microchips. "Smart" only means smart people who own tech companies are data harvesting the dummies who buy "smart" products.

For those who don't remember, washing machines used to work fine without microchips. "Smart" only means smart people who own tech companies are data harvesting the dummies who buy "smart" products.
Without “smart” tech in washing machines, they used much more electricity, soap and water to do their job. Smart machines, like smart washing machines use the “fuzzy logic” system to weigh the load, test the turbidity of the rinse water and add additional cycles using the least amount of water possible. Without the fuzzy logic controller, a lot more precious water would be wasted. In other machines, fuzzy logic saves energy, makes us more comfortable and wastes less.

This stuff is very interesting if you are into machine design: Lotfi Zadeh and the Birth of Fuzzy Logic

My guess on the percentage of teens giving up high tech phones if given a choice-

less than 2%. Maybe less than 1%.

Without “smart” tech in washing machines, they used much more electricity, soap and water to do their job. Smart machines, like smart washing machines use the “fuzzy logic” system to weigh the load, test the turbidity of the rinse water and add additional cycles using the least amount of water possible. Without the fuzzy logic controller, a lot more precious water would be wasted. In other machines, fuzzy logic saves energy, makes us more comfortable and wastes less.

This stuff is very interesting if you are into machine design: Lotfi Zadeh and the Birth of Fuzzy Logic

A good argument, but please, no. No more tech. I don't want to learn it. I don't want to troubleshoot it when it breaks. I don't want to fix it. I don't want to call anyone to fix it. I sure as hell don't want to connect it to the internet-of-things. I don't want it reporting my energy usage, or when I use it, even if it offers me a coupon. I don't want it to stop working because I didn't eat ze bugz and my social credit score is too low. I have no issues with water or electricity usage. All this consumer wants is a basic machine that is built to last.

These things are so basic they'll last and last and last... They even keep on doing the job when the power shuts down.
1681916061116.png

Then why don’t clothes come out clean, and dishes need rinsed after coming out of the dishwasher?

Fricken horrible.

My semi-smart dishwasher does a pretty good job unless you slam it full or don't load things logically.

The moderately smart washing machine does a pretty good job, too.
We did learn we were using too much detergent though.
That's probably a good thing as we should see some savings there.

Im said it coming. And it would start with a young generation. I welcome it. I went to get a flip phone the other day. Only reason walked out with an older iphone. They couldn’t transfer my music over. Yep im done with techy appliances and cars. I can wash dishes its not hard. And older wash machines get my work clothes way cleaner then the high efficiency one the wife has.

I don't give a rats *** whether Einstein said it or not
it's a good meme for the subject
it's exactly what they are doing

go anywhere where they are you will see most hunched over
staring at their screens & thumbs going to town

Albert Einstein Technology fears creation of idiots.jpg

Albert Einstein fears cell phones.jpg

Not all tech is bad, and no the government isn't tracking anybody through a washing machine.

I know how to adjust the water level for the load and also know to measure the amount of detergent. The only smart devices I have is the TV and the phone and 1/2 the time the phone acts dumb. Imo, more crap on something means more to go wrong.
A good argument, but please, no. No more tech. I don't want to learn it. I don't want to troubleshoot it when it breaks. I don't want to fix it. I don't want to call anyone to fix it. I sure as hell don't want to connect it to the internet-of-things. I don't want it reporting my energy usage, or when I use it, even if it offers me a coupon. I don't want it to stop working because I didn't eat ze bugz and my social credit score is too low. I have no issues with water or electricity usage. All this consumer wants is a basic machine that is built to last.
Amen to that!
My semi-smart dishwasher does a pretty good job unless you slam it full or don't load things logically.

The moderately smart washing machine does a pretty good job, too.
We did learn we were using too much detergent though.
That's probably a good thing as we should see some savings there.
Too many dummies out there that don't know how or care to know how to use a basic washing machine. My first X used so much detergent that the clothing came out smelling real strong of detergent but she wouldn't listen to me as she said she liked the smell. Geez. Hey, she even liked the smell of gasoline but didn't like cars that went fast. Go figure. I'm way more picky about the women I meet these days.
Not all tech is bad, and no the government isn't tracking anybody through a washing machine.
Did you know the power companies can 'manage' your smart appliances if you have a smart meter on the house? If they can do that you know 'big brother' can too. "Let's lock up this guy's bank account and turn off his HVAC system along with all the other 'smart' devices too" big brother says.....

Auto Transport Service
Back