• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 engine question... please help!!

bigblockd100

Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
Ok so I am new to the forums but I have been searching around on here for quite some time... I have a question for all the big block gurus out there! So I am 90% sure on this but I just need some reassurance... I have a 72 413 out of a motorhome that I got for free and I was just wondering if I pulled those monster industrial heads and waterpump off if I would be able to throw on some 452s that I have and a standard rb intake on it?? I think they are the same block just wanted to make sure... I'm just using the engine so I can move the grim under its own power days I know that they have horribly low compression! Just want to get my pickup driving until I can finish my 512 for it! Thank you in advance!

Yeah, you're fine. Go for it! It's got six bolts on the flywheel flange right?

They will bolt up just fine.The only issue is the valve to cylinder clearance.You may have to notch the cylinders for the valves.Its nothing you can't do with a die grinder, a deburring bit,and some sanding rolls to smooth it out.Use a standard 4.320 bore head gasket for a template.Your 413 and 426 street and max wedges had them.Most of the industrial stuff didn't.Good luck!

Wait idk I know it has 6 on the crank pulley if that means anything? Its hooked up to the trans right now and sitting in the truck... I guess I probably could pull off the dust cover and check? Now I remember reading about the 6 or 8 bolt deal somewhere else but they weren't clear about the difference

talking about the flywheel end of the crank. 6 or 8 bolts. HEMI's had 8 bolts and I don't know for sure if these industrial 413's also had 8. Also be aware that there are externally and internally balanced engines. The industrial 413 is probably an internally balanced steel crank motor, which in that case would not have large weights around the drain plug on the converter or a weighted dampener. Be aware of this if you are exchanging parts from an existing engine.

I've got a couple of these engines sitting in the garage, externaly balanced with six bolt cranks. there was a heavy duty version available with a steel internaly balanced crank but i've never seen one

Auto Transport Service
Back