• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 valve train question

Mpdave391

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Okay so I’m in the process of. Going thru a 440 I put together probably 15-20 years ago using parts my dad had left over from a 440 the crank main caps backed out of and broke the block and junk the crank
I have a 65 440 block. And I put a new bottom end in it but the engine dad built years ago late 80s early 90s when I was a kid didn’t have many miles on it when it failed so I used things like the cam over and lifters. But he had set of adjustable rockers laying around Along with the push rods I have 2 lifters that sized. From sitting the seat is stuck that is in the lifter body and I can’t seem to get them apart
So after looking at summits web site I thought I’d buy a new set. Then I thought well maybe I’d get a new cam then I seen where the lifters at different 67 and down comp wants you to run 824’s lifters
68 and up are 822’s the lifters I have are 822’s comp offers a kit. For $388
With the cam and 824’s
My block is a 65
I’d have to double check the one dad used
My question is if I’m running the rest of the valve train out of a 68 and newer block will the 822’s lifters work in this 65 block

image.jpg

The difference is; the 67 down lifters were for a 5/16 ball end pushrod. 68 up 3/8
So if you're going to use the mechanical pushrods, they are likely the newer ones. Measure the lifter end of rods

Okay cool I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what the difference was

440's did not come out until 1966. Maybe a late '65 casting for '66 model year?

Pretty sure all 68 and later hydraulic tappets use a 5/16 cup and 67 and down 1/4". Anyhow the 822 tappet is what you want with a 5/16 ball push rod.

No offense,but i strongly recommend that you do a lot of homework before you proceed any further. Good luck.

822 & 824 are hyd lifters, for the SB & Hemi respectively.
All BB hyd lifter prods I have seen were 5/16" diam, solid not hollow. Early versions had a small 1/4" ball end on the prod & matching p'rod seat in the lifter. At some point this was increased to 5/16", so 5/16" top & bottom. Not sure what the crossover year was....

So after going and looking at the original block that ended up broken it was a 69 block either it be and early or a late. I couldn’t make out the first number
But so far from what I’m seeing is. 68 and later the they took pushrods with with 5/16 ends and the 67 and earlier ones took 1/4s or at least that’s what I’m getting
So the block dosent care if I run lifters for a 68 or newer right. I dug out the original set of rocker arms and lifters I just have to find one cause it’s missing so I’ll have to measure these ones

The difference is; the 67 down lifters were for a 5/16 ball end pushrod. 68 up 3/8
So if you're going to use the mechanical pushrods, they are likely the newer ones. Measure the lifter end of rods
Correct but it was 1/4" and then to 5/16"....we'll just chalk that one up to a metric system translation error:D:D:D

Correct but it was 1/4" and then to 5/16"....we'll just chalk that one up to a metric system translation error:D:D:D
Yep thank you! Forgot how tiny those early ones really were! But I did say measure! :wetting:

Auto Transport Service
Back