• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 Motor home engine

jag_mopar

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to pull the motor from a dodge motor home before it gets scrapped? I do not know the last time it was run. Not sure if it will turn over manually. Suggestions? Thoughts? I hate having another piece of mopar iron going to the scrap yard

4CFB3B86-071F-43FE-A907-8299B0314AED.jpeg 5A55A6AB-DADD-48B7-B869-8DDF40BFEEC6.jpeg 4742D9DE-2E0F-4DF1-BF72-6D1560F1B219.jpeg E6F7D844-5309-474C-9246-47D3B5E56E4A.jpeg 0214BEE2-B560-4701-83DA-D5374E62313F.jpeg

If your ambitious pull the motor and tranny. Not worth a whole lot but not made any more either.

Pull it you have something to work with. Do a search here type in the search box "motorhome 440's" or something similar.

I agree. Yank the motor and trans. It's worth something to someone. As said, not making them anymore. My 2 cents. ruffcut

See if it turns freely and go from there…..

Most likely a beefy cold weather block. And if older than1973 it has a steel crankshaft with low miles. It's definitely worth saving!

Heck yes save that motor if for nothing more than parts and accessories that are with it.
And also as stated above keep those engine badges !

check to make sure not a 413-3 also check crank to flex plate as some are not compatible with some cars

I have a 72 413 sitting on a stand in my shop, pretty bad condition but I have it and got it for free. The heads are not real usable as the have water ports in the front of the head (at least mine did) but the block is worth something and they make good candidates for strokers.

I got into a 413 motorhome once thought I would get a good deal. Turns out it was a reverse rotation engine. Not much of it was useful except for the crank and block pistons

As stated above there are folks who a really into "vintage" motor homes, yes possibly including this one.

Save all the big blocks we can. Some day the only ones left will be the ones we saved.

Myself the motor home blocks are a great choice for a build with the heavy duty water jackets and oil passages. But that's just me. These blocks in most cases are low mileage so a few tricks and there can be at street engines.

I wouldn't scrap a Travco, someone will buy it, there's a small following. They had fiberglass bodies and don't degrade as quick as the standard ones did.

https://tincantourists.com/wiki/travco/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DodgeTravco/

found the FB page as suggested. I will try listing it in there first. I did not realize the history of travco from the other link. Thanks for the direction. I would rather it go to a good home. I know it needs brake work. The interior does not smell moldy. May be good for parts for someone

I got into a 413 motorhome once thought I would get a good deal. Turns out it was a reverse rotation engine. Not much of it was useful except for the crank and block pistons
Was more likely a boat motor. Large twin engine boats always had one engine that was reverse rotation. The two motors spinning in opposite directions kept the boat from gently turning in one direction. The tip off to reverse direction engine is that camshaft is direct gear driven, instead of timing chain.

Auto Transport Service
Back