• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi installing Manifold Heat Control valve

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
I have assembled the parts to restore my 67 Hemi engine exhaust manifold heat control valve setup. When I bought the car, the prior Owner had removed the set-up and welded shut the
opening for the heat tube.

My problem is that when I attempted to install the counter-weight onto the valve shaft, the slot in the shaft does not line up with the counterweight slot in the Open Position, see photos. If I turn the plate clockwise to the closed position, the counter-weight slot lines up
but the bumper is inside the retainer "circle", which would prevent the counter-weight to move forward to the stop pin and open the exhaust .
Any help or suggestion is appreciated. I want to restore the manifold heat control valve correctly. Thank you.

Heat riser Hemi.jpg heat control valve_LI.jpg Thermostat and plate position.JPG Manifold Control Plate Open..JPG Manifold Thermostat.JPG

Its been some years since doing mine but I do remember getting everything assembled and then spinning the flap on the shaft to the proper position and tack welding the flap to the shaft. Not sure if this helps

Its been some years since doing mine but I do remember getting everything assembled and then spinning the flap on the shaft to the proper position and tack welding the flap to the shaft. Not sure if this helps
Yes that helps, I think that is what I have to do. I spot welded before attaching to the counter-weight. Thanks.

Yes I had read the article in August, if you go to the end of the article I wrote to him and thanked him. I did install as he depicted but the counter-weight did not open freely to the stop pin. On the backside the bumper is rubbing on the retainer and hinders it's movement to open. I will remove and undo the tack welds, and try again. In South Florida it is 90 degrees daily from April to October and mostly 80's the rest of the year, so I need the this to open so I don't have any issues. My worry is it will stay shut more than open the way it is operating now. Thanks, Dean.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back