• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi "Mancini" or "Detroit Tools" Valve Spring Compressor Needed

Tom8757

Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for a "Mancini" or "Detroit Tools" 426 Hemi Valve Spring Compressor to take the Valve Springs off with engine in the car. Does anyone have one for sale? Or know where I can get one?

Used the KD compressor with star wheel on top. Hose clamp to hooked arms in but couldn't hook inner spring. Had to push on it to collapse inner spring while removing keepers with a magnet. Of course piston at TDC and compressed air on cylinder I was working on. Weld a 3/4" nut on to star wheel so you can tighten with a rachet.

Last edited:
Used the KD compressor with star wheel on top. Hose clamp to hooked arms in but couldn't hook inner spring. Had to push on it to collapse inner spring while removing keepers with a magnet. Of course piston at TDC and compressed air on cylinder I was working on. Weld a 3/4" nut on to star wheel so you can tighten with a rachet.

Changed springs on my 65 dodge with a Hemi. One problem was spring when compressed curved. Could push hooks off spring. Put a hose clamp around spring and compressor arm to keep arms in place. Made another long arm and put it inside short arm to pull spring evenly. See picture and crude drawing. The thing next to compressor has a magnetic tip I used to remove keepers. You may have to do some engineering :D of your own to get it to work but if I did it I'm sure you can! Going to look at it tomorrow again on making that second long hook. The shoulders on hook think were made to keep hook from just sliding up and not doing anything. Picture 2 is where I put it. Couldn't find my hook, dam.
1965 Dodge 015.JPG
VSC.jpg
VSC1.jpg
VSC2.jpg

Changed springs on my 65 dodge with a Hemi. One problem was spring when compressed curved. Could push hooks off spring. Put a hose clamp around spring and compressor arm to keep arms in place. Made another long arm and put it inside short arm to pull spring evenly. See picture and crude drawing. The thing next to compressor has a magnetic tip I used to remove keepers. You may have to do some engineering :D of your own to get it to work but if I did it I'm sure you can! Going to look at it tomorrow again on making that second long hook. The shoulders on hook think were made to keep hook from just sliding up and not doing anything. Picture 2 is where I put it. Couldn't find my hook, dam.View attachment 846199 View attachment 846184 View attachment 846186 View attachment 846187

I just used the HF variation of that KD tool. Total pos. The tangs don't have any "hook" to them to grab spring. I used a zip tie to hold it all together, and I was cranking that tool, wearing gloves, tried a socket on one of the handle "star" wheel - No Dice. It got to the point where I could not tighten any more and keepers still were not exposed enough to get out with a magnet.

It is a pita. I had to push down on tool to compress damper and inner spring to remove keepers. Agree lousy to work with but when its all ya got....

Auto Transport Service
Back