• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge Identification

BillO

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Mopar's but I'm looking to purchase one , the one I found is a 1965 Plymouth Satellite the seller claims it has a 426 Wedge Motor. I looked up the Casting numbers 2468030-3 and its listed as a 426 RB is this a standard 426 Non Wedge Engine ?

I found that casting for a 413 and 426 block (wedge). So, in either case it is a wedge head engine. Hopefully the displacement is stamped on the engine pad up front.

I found that casting for a 413 and 426 block (wedge). So, in either case it is a wedge head engine. Hopefully the displacement is stamped on the engine pad up front.
Thank You so it should be stamped either 413 or 426 correct

I think the engine pad beside the distributor bolt would be stamped A 42. A =1965 42 = 426
This would be what was called the 426 Street Wedge, not to be confused with the 426 Max Wedge, which had been replaced by the 426 Hemi by this time. This engine was basically a 413 with a bigger bore. It shared heads, cam, and 4 -bbl. AFB with the 383. It was rated at 365 hp. A Satellite with a 426 could give the much more famous GTO fits.

A 426 street wedge 64 Sport Fury or 65 Satellite is a really desirable car that I’ve never managed to acquire. Hope the car is real and what you’re looking for.

Thank Guys I will get some more information from the seller I don't believe the engine is original to the car, but the car appears to be in beautiful condition. What are these cars worth with a NOM 4 speed ,interior is restored and the body and paint look great.

Here is the pad on my '65 Monaco 426 SW 4-speed car.

HPIM3904.JPG

A '65 Satellite could very well have a 426 Street Wedge. Not common, but they were out there. The 426W is a great motor.
My first drag car was an original '65 Coronet 426 Street Wedge 4spd car. It spent a large majority of its life as a drag car. A '65 Satellite is my second most favorite car, next to a '70 Cuda.
If the price is right a '65 Satellite is a great purchase. Check the stamp pad by the distributor to see what it might tell you.

Auto Transport Service
Back