• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

The engine code in the 66 VIN only designated the cubic inches of the engine. Don't shoot me, but I have read that the Mr. Norm cars I mentioned had an H in the VIN.

In the 70's, a guy in a 66 Charger approached me in a parking lot. We were admiring each other's cars when he told me his was a factory 426.

I knew a local guy back in the 1970s that had a '66 Satelitte with a 426 wedge. But I don't know if it was factory or a transplant.

If the car in question has the provisions for the mounting plate for the starter relay on the driver’s side inner fender than it might be a 426 Hemi car and someone just made a mistake on the notation at the bottom of the build sheet. Chrysler Historical may have some records on ‘66 cars in their files.
The other thing is that the fuel line would be 3/8” instead of 5/16” and the car would have torque boxes in it if it was a Hemi.

The other thing is that the fuel line would be 3/8” instead of 5/16” and the car would have torque boxes in it if it was a Hemi.
It does have 3/8, but it’s also an ex drag car so it could’ve been changed out, I don’t know how to check for Hemi torque boxes

Other things to take pictures of K member, front of rear spring perches for them to be boxed and the snubber plate above rear diff. it is attached to floor pan. It's hard to see unless car is off the ground.

He can also look at the chassis to see if it has rear torque boxes, axle snubbers, rear spring anchor reinforcement plates, etc.

So the real issue is:

Why does the door VIN plate say WH23H and the broadcast sheet (and the fender tag) call for a 383.

Playing "worst case scenario"- did the technology exist to fabricate a door VIN plate with a changed 5th digit?

Did the technology exist to stamp "...WEDGE..." on the broadcast sheet in a way that closely resembles the factory printer ink?

(bonus points- why would someone fake a Hemi car VIN and then go to the trouble to stamp the broadcast sheet with "wedge"?)

For the record, I have "broadcast sheet oddities" from my 73 that no one has been able to explain, but they are not discrepancies regarding the build of the car.

I was playing with google, and found THIS old thread from here. Interesting possibility?
FOR SALE - 1966 426 street wedge complete

There is some evidence the 426 was used early in the model year in C bodies. I'm not sure there is any factory info on a 426 in a B body.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1966/66-19_page1.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 11.39.38 AM.png

So the real issue is:

Why does the door VIN plate say WH23H and the broadcast sheet (and the fender tag) call for a 383.

Please look at the placement of the G and H on a keyboard.

If we are exploring ALL possibilities or discrepancies, we have to include the possibility of a simple typo on the VIN tag. The fender tag and BS match.

Car was a St. Louis build unless I read it wrong a 7 in the 7th digit.

If we are exploring ALL possibilities or discrepancies, we have to include the possibility of a simple typo on the VIN tag. The fender tag and BS match.

I was just editing my post to include this.

Now I don't have to.

...and it is a MUCH simpler explanation.

However, there's that "...wedge" on the broadcast sheet.

To me it looks like there might be complete separation of the two portions of the sheet in question.
Not sure if that would come into play forensically.

I was just editing my post to include this.

Now I don't have to.

...and it is a MUCH simpler explanation.

However, there's that "...wedge" on the broadcast sheet.

To me it looks like there might be complete separation of the two portions of the sheet in question.
Not sure if that would come into play forensically.
That is a good point because yes it is ripped, but the other build sheet is an exact match, and is almost complete, just ripped down the middle a little, hard not to be after 60 years lol

That’s correct, but then, why they special remark 426 WEDGE? I’m not trying to say it’s a Hemi car because I don’t believe it is at all, I just want to know if this could be the one 426 wedge car

Galen's book has it listed as known to exist, not as one produced. I also noticed that he has the assembly plant listed as 7. Same as yours.

Does anyone have any non-hearsay evidence that those existed?

Even if so, would they have been marked on the broadcast sheet?

Auto Transport Service
Back