• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

Galen's book has it listed as known to exist,......

Really?

I know there was a real big stink about the guy with an H code 69 Roadrunner that claimed (and successfully convinced the RR community at the time), that some early build 440-6 cars were built as 383 cars and converted by Chrysler.

Is there any evidence anywhere that anything like that ever actually happened?

Even the B/RB A body cars were coded for the B/RB engines.

The closest thing I can think of is the early 4 barrel 273 cars (and the D "program" cars) that had the same engine VIN code as the 2 barrel cars.

Really?

I know there was a real big stink about the guy with an H code 69 Roadrunner that claimed (and successfully convinced the RR community at the time), that some early build 440-6 cars were built as 383 cars and converted by Chrysler.

Is there any evidence anywhere that anything like that ever actually happened?

Even the B/RB A body cars were coded for the B/RB engines.

The closest thing I can think of is the early 4 barrel 273 cars (and the D "program" cars) that had the same engine VIN code as the 2 barrel cars.
I’m not trying to pass my car off as anything it isn’t, I’ve got 3 options to go off here! Lol just kidding, I’m just trying to find out if this is all linked someway somehow and I may have lucked into a very rare car.

I'm not suggesting that.

I am merely posting related questions, that if answered could help, and suggesting or agreeing with additional courses of action.

I applaud you for investigating using the resources that are available.

I agree about the IBM card. If nothing else it could potentially verify that the VIN is correct and the the car was actually built with a 383-4 potentially verifying a mis-stamped VIN.

If you're gonna get a screw up, that's a pretty good one to get.

Since you are relatively new here, I'll also point out that member 69CoronetRT has proven himself EXTREMELY knowledgeable regarding factory procedures, available options, and documentation.
He's already commented a few times in this thread. It's good advice to follow.

I'm not suggesting that.

I am merely posting related questions, that if answered could help, and suggesting or agreeing with additional courses of action.

I agree about the IBM card. If nothing else it could potentially verify that the VIN is correct and the the car was actually built with a 383-4 potentially verifying a mis-stamped VIN.

Since you are relatively new here, I'll also point out that member 69CoronetRT has proven himself EXTREMELY knowledgeable regarding factory procedures, available options, and documentation.
I’m just trying to joke with you all a little lol, I am very appreciative of all the help I’ve been given from everyone.

I'm not suggesting that.

I’m gonna sound dumb but what is the IBM?

Computer punch card coded with with all the build info at the plant. They still exist for a large number of pre 68 cars ( l believe - not completely up on all this). You can request a copy through the Chrysler Historical Office but then someone has to decode it for you.

I'm not suggesting that.

Thanks for the kind words but you are doing fine without me. I'll hold your coat on this one.

I’m gonna sound dumb but what is the IBM?
The dumb question is the one you should have asked.

They look like this. Found under the carpet, behind the back seat, taped over the glove box, in the head liner. You never know. Sometimes they're not found in the car at all.
65_IBM_SO.jpg.jpg

Computer punch card coded with with all the build info at the plant. They still exist for a large number of pre 68 cars ( l believe - not completely up on all this). You can request a copy through the Chrysler Historical Office but then someone has to decode it for you.

There is a thread here on FBBO with decoding information.

AFAIK, they are still in business with these but it may take some time.

There is at least one thread about who to send the request to and what to expect.

I believe you have to provide proof of ownership.

426 wedge. I think you should continue your research on this. I can't say that they were ever built, but I don't see it being out of the realm of possibility. I have thought for years that Mr. Norm special ordered them, but I didn't research it. As people have said it looks like a 383 car with a typo on the VIN tag, but I can't ignore the 426 wedge typed on the build sheet. Among all the other suggestions, you might try to find a web site or two dedicated to Mr Norm.

Fwiw I thumbed through my 66 final revision parts catalog and sure enough, you could buy 426 street wedge piston assemblies.

The dumb question is the one you should have asked.

They look like this. Found under the carpet, behind the back seat, taped over the glove box, in the head liner. You never know. Sometimes they're not found in the car at all.
View attachment 1406732
I will look, I didn’t see one, but I’ll look under the carpet to see if I can find anything.

Doubt seriously you will find a punch card in the car.

I will look, I didn’t see one, but I’ll look under the carpet to see if I can find anything.
I hope you do, they have been found I know I have. The unlikely part is it being a "weird car" , the chances diminish, I would speculate.

This whole thing is memories of the 72 Sixpack. They did make them. They were in manuals.

My car a St. Louis built 66 broadcast was under driver side carpet folded into a 2" square.

Some people are having problems viewing images on the site recently probably due to webp. Webp is an image format similar to jpeg but with better compression and file images size. Not every image program or web browser supports webp though. Internet Explorer 11 supposedly doesn't. Most peoples browsers will recognize webp but when you save the image to your computer and can't open it, it's because the image program doesn't support webp. I'm guessing the web admins updated the site to serve webp images to save on bandwitdh costs.
You've called it Webp a couple of time, but it shows as jpeg when I mouse over. What does it look like when you do that?
1674528110339.png

Auto Transport Service
Back