• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

Sorry, a little late to the party. Read80 under AB. the post a couple of days ago..........I think somebody asked about C body code for 426 Wedge?......
My '65 Monaco that I just sold had 80 under AB.

If it's actually the vin tag I seen a couple posts ago, this is your car.

Screenshot_20230201_042622_Chrome.jpg

I also think if you are looking at the H under the T on the fender tag in post 126 i believe, that just means it's either a high trim package or a high price package. I do apologize if someone has already mentioned this I just read through this post quickly and haven't researched this stuff for a while.
Gary

The issue is the VIN starts with "WH23H6"

The second H denotes a 426 HEMI engine in 1966.

...but the fender rag coding and broadcast sheet call for a 383 4 barrel engine.

I think a related issue (if I understand correctly), is could the second H ( normally for a Hemi) in the VIN have also been used for a late 426 wedge installed in an odd-ball early 66 Belvedere, similar to the 65. Since the 440 wasn’t sold in the 66 Plymouth b-body line (that I’m aware of), there probably wasn’t a VIN character assigned for a RB engine except the Hemi. That’s if I follow the 9 pages on this thread correctly.

I think a related issue (if I understand correctly), is could the second H ( normally for a Hemi) in the VIN have also been used for a late 426 wedge installed in an odd-ball early 66 Belvedere, similar to the 65. Since the 440 wasn’t sold in the 66 Plymouth b-body line (that I’m aware of), there probably wasn’t a VIN character assigned for a RB engine except the Hemi. That’s if I follow the 9 pages on this thread correctly.
Thts kinda what we’re thinking, this has been a popular thread, but I’m beginning to believe the H is for 426 cubic inches, not just for Hemi.

...but then there's that 383 code and spec in the broadcast sheet.

I think that with the build sheet and fender tag showing "G", the car body could have been built as a 383 car, without the Hemi car added structure and relays bracket. Then the "H" code could mean 426 c.i., without Chrysler having a separate code for 426 Wedge. Too bad they were not yet using "M" code for special engine.

Last edited:
...but then there's that 383 code and spec in the broadcast sheet.
My question.
If there was no code or specs for a 426 wedge, would the car have been built to the 383 specs, but the H added to the VIN to designate 426 cubes? Was there really anything different on the earlier 426 wedge cars than on the 383 4 bbl cars? The engine is basically a bolt in swap. I believe the 426 street wedge used the same log style exhaust manifolds? Otherwise, were the cooling, brakes, suspension, or wheels and tires any different between the cars?

My question.
If there was no code or specs for a 426 wedge, would the car have been built to the 383 specs, but the H added to the VIN to designate 426 cubes? Was there really anything different on the earlier 426 wedge cars than on the 383 4 bbl cars? The engine is basically a bolt in swap. I believe the 426 street wedge used the same log style exhaust manifolds? Otherwise, were the cooling, brakes, suspension, or wheels and tires any different between the cars?
The only way to know the answer to those questions would be to compare the Broadcast Sheets from a verified 426w car to this one. I’m not sure you could find an example to do so.

The only way to know the answer to those questions would be to compare the Broadcast Sheets from a verified 426w car to this one. I’m not sure you could find an example to do so.
Sadly I’ve been looking and haven’t found anything. I’m gonna make a couple more Facebook posts but I don’t think it will get me far.

My question.
From the looks the motor is the only difference, everything else is the same as a 383 car from what I see.

So I browsed the 1966 426 engine supplement.

It's dated 1/14/66.

I don't 100% think that implies that there were no Hemi coronets built prior to that date, although I can see how one might get that.

Are there any 1966 Coronets and Chargers with Hemi's built prior to that date? (actually, Plymouths should count, too)

That would be some circumstantial evidence that might help.

Especially if any are found built prior to November '65.

You would think that info would be readily available.

In my post, I was referring to the earlier (64 and 65) street wedge cars. Were there any differences between the specs of those VS the 383 versions?

What does the documentaion tell you?

Not the guessing, not the speculation, not the wishful thinking. What does the documentaction in front of you say?

The broadcast sheet, the blueprint for building the car, clearly shows a G VIN code, 62 sales code engine assembly 180 383-4bbl. The fender tag shows sales code 62 383-4. You have a vague reference to 426 wedge with nothing on the BS to support any other assembly other than a 383-4.

The BS and fender tag also shows this was a 699 Special order car. You never did confirm my question on the first two digits of the SO number. That may be a better path to follow than the other rabbit holes suggested. Try and find out why it’s coded 699.

The VIN does not match the BS or fender tag. This may be more of a problem than helpful. As there is no supporting documentation to back an H in the VIN, start with the presumption the VIN is wrong and an error. Don’t assume it’s correct as a way to support your desired presumption that the VIN supports the BS reference.

What you have is interesting and intriguing and a topic of fun discussion, but the only thing proven so far is you can document a 383-4 car with a non matching VIN and a vague reference on the BS.

Don‘t quit but clear away the clutter. Focus on what you know and can prove, not what you hope.

What does the documentaion tell you?

Not the guessing, not the speculation, not the wishful thinking. What does the documentaction in front of you say?

The broadcast sheet, the blueprint for building the car, clearly shows a G VIN code, 62 sales code engine assembly 180 383-4bbl. The fender tag shows sales code 62 383-4. You have a vague reference to 426 wedge with nothing on the BS to support any other assembly other than a 383-4.

The BS and fender tag also shows this was a 699 Special order car. You never did confirm my question on the first two digits of the SO number. That may be a better path to follow than the other rabbit holes suggested. Try and find out why it’s coded 699.

The VIN does not match the BS or fender tag. This may be more of a problem than helpful. As there is no supporting documentation to back an H in the VIN, start with the presumption the VIN is wrong and an error. Don’t assume it’s correct as a way to support your desired presumption that the VIN supports the BS reference.

What you have is interesting and intriguing and a topic of fun discussion, but the only thing proven so far is you can document a 383-4 car with a non matching VIN and a vague reference on the BS.

Don‘t quit but clear away the clutter. Focus on what you know and can prove, not what you hope.
The build sheet at the bottom says special remarks 426 WEDGE, which is really the only thing we’re going off of, but if this is the case couldnt it be the reason for the H in the vin possibly meaning 426 cubic inches and not just Hemi? Idk it’s a goose chase. We figured that’s why it’s a 699 special order car, and I apologize for my ignorance I can’t think what is the SO number? I’ll get those to you asap.

Get that IBM card.

Doesn't the IBM card tie the VIN to the SO?

Would those SO digits maybe suggest or confirm it was a pilot car?

Don't those usually have loaded option sheets?

The build sheet at the bottom says special remarks 426 WEDGE, which is really the only thing we’re going off of, but if this is the case couldnt it be the reason for the H in the vin possibly meaning 426 cubic inches and not just Hemi? Idk it’s a goose chase. We figured that’s why it’s a 699 special order car, and I apologize for my ignorance I can’t think what is the SO number? I’ll get those to you asap.
Don’t assume the VIN, which may be incorrect, supports the reference. That’s part of what’s bogging you down. You‘re wanting the VIN to support the reference. What if it doesn’t? What can you PROVE.

At the bottom left hand corner of the fender tag is the SO number. Does it read B22 800**?

Don’t assume the VIN, which may be incorrect, supports the reference. That’s part of what’s bogging you down. You‘re wanting the VIN to support the reference. What if it doesn’t? What can you PROVE.

At the bottom left hand corner of the fender tag is the SO number. Does it read B22 800**?
Yes it does

Auto Transport Service
Back