• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

The IBM card shows G Code 383-4 VIN, ENGINE CODE 62 383-4
The Broadcast sheet shows G VIN 383-4, sales code 62 383-4 and engine assembly code 180 383-4.
The Fender tag shows engine code 62.
All three show 699 Special order but not WHY is was special order. It could have been SPECIAL ORDERED for a variety of reasons none of which would be related to the engine.

The factory documents show 383-4 not 426 W. There is an inconclusive reference to a 426w on the BS.

I agree the 426 reference is interesting but there is NO proof or documentation this car came equipped with anything other than a 383.
Wishing, wanting, and hoping are not documentation nor proof of anything. The factory documents show this car was built as a 383-4. Nothing more and nothing less. Not my opinion. Not my belief.

All I've asked for, all I've ever asked for, in this thread is proof and documentation. So far, all the factory documents show is a 383-4.

Again, and for the last time, I truly hope you get to the bottom of what you have, accept any truth and go with it.
Again I’m not drawing this into a big argument believe it or don’t believe it you seem to be taking bits of information you want to and go with that that’s your choice

The IBM card shows G Code 383-4 VIN, ENGINE CODE 62 383-4
The Broadcast sheet shows G VIN 383-4, sales code 62 383-4 and engine assembly code 180 383-4.
The Fender tag shows engine code 62.
All three show 699 Special order but not WHY is was special order. It could have been SPECIAL ORDERED for a variety of reasons none of which would be related to the engine.

The factory documents show 383-4 not 426 W. There is an inconclusive reference to a 426w on the BS.

I agree the 426 reference is interesting but there is NO proof or documentation this car came equipped with anything other than a 383.
Wishing, wanting, and hoping are not documentation nor proof of anything. The factory documents show this car was built as a 383-4. Nothing more and nothing less. Not my opinion. Not my belief.

All I've asked for, all I've ever asked for, in this thread is proof and documentation. So far, all the factory documents show is a 383-4.

Again, and for the last time, I truly hope you get to the bottom of what you have, accept any truth and go with it.
I understand what you’re saying I do, but what about the Vin tag? I’ve talked to a few well known Mopar lovers including Herb McCandless who said the H was for 426 cubic inches not just for Hemi. I don’t know, it’s a big ole loophole.

No dog in this fight - but there were 2 build sheets in the car with the same note - is that correct? I wonder what the significance of the 220673 out beside the note is, if any. Probably little way to find out.

edit: looks like Ramcharger just asked that.
I wish we could have a definite answer atm but a buddy we got the car from had the 2nd build sheet and misplaced it I have a photo proving it exists but it’s not a good photos and can’t be made out

So we have one brother that asked for help and is willing to listen.... and another that wants none... :thumbsup:

So we have one brother that asked for help and is willing to listen.... and another that wants none... :thumbsup:
I’ve been taking everything everyone has said in this forum and chasing/following leads on it even if it may have seemed silly or something we knew already i have been spending countless hours this past week trying to find out what I can

That claim would be the equivalent to saying this Belvedere 2 isn’t a silver special

View attachment 1418249
Certain packages contain individual items listed on at the BS that help identify the packages.

Look at the totality of items from the package listed on the BS. We do not need the SILVER SPECIAL reference at the bottom to tell us this car was a SILVER SPECIAL package car. We know that from the components.
Sometimes the references are unnecessary and redundant. Rarely are they actually instructive.

7833738-SilverSpecial.jpg

Last edited:
I understand what you’re saying I do, but what about the Vin tag? I’ve talked to a few well known Mopar lovers including Herb McCandless who said the H was for 426 cubic inches not just for Hemi. I don’t know, it’s a big ole loophole.

That the H indicates 426 CI and not a head configuration (wedge vs Hemi) has never been the debate. We know that to be true. I'd love to have an example of an early 66 C body with the 426W VIN as documentation.

I do not know the VIN laws in effect at that time. (registration, conversion and emission laws became more and more strict as the 60's wore on)

I put forth to Byron the theory this car very well could have been coverted at the dealership from a 383-4 to a 426w and the delership changed the VIN. This theory does not negate the possibility Mr. Norms ordered the car in anticipation of the conversion and the car was built as a 383-4. IF that is the case, all factory paperwork would show the car was a 383-4 (which it does). The anticipation of the conversion may have been indicated on the BS. The car very well may have been sold by Mr. Norms as a new car equipped with the 426w after the conversion.

This theory does not negate any of the paperwork or references presented. It allows everything we've discussed to be true all at once.

It does negate the fact this car was built by the factory as a 426w. There's no proof to that at all. And that's all I've ever wanted.

That the H indicates 426 CI and not a head configuration (wedge vs Hemi) has never been the debate. We know that to be true. I'd love to have an example of an early 66 C body with the 426W VIN as documentation.

I do not know the VIN laws in effect at that time. (registration, conversion and emission laws became more and more strict as the 60's wore on)

I put forth to Byron the theory this car very well could have been coverted at the dealership from a 383-4 to a 426w and the delership changed the VIN. This theory does not negate the possibility Mr. Norms ordered the car in anticipation of the conversion and the car was built as a 383-4. IF that is the case, all factory paperwork would show the car was a 383-4 (which it does). The anticipation of the conversion may have been indicated on the BS. The car very well may have been sold by Mr. Norms as a new car equipped with the 426w after the conversion.

This theory does not negate any of the paperwork or references presented. It allows everything we've discussed to be true all at once.

It does negate the fact this car was built by the factory as a 426w. There's no proof to that at all. And that's all I've ever wanted.
I understand what you’re saying. I’ll see if I can find any further information.

I understand what you’re saying. I’ll see if I can find any further information.
There’s a possibility Mr Norm did convert it but legally I don’t believe Mr Norm could modify the VIN so why is there an H in the VIN

The Build sheet shows in the special order Section 426 Wedge.

The car was special ordered by Mr Norm one of few guys that had the power to get Chrysler to do something out of the blue

The VIN that the car is Legally registered with and is on the body! Not a piece of paper supports that the car had or was planned to have a 426 Wedge motor in it

Modifying VINs is illegal even if it had been Mr Norm so he wouldn’t have been able to put the H in the Cars VIN

Yeah, even in the 60s I cant believe dealers were allowed to re-VIN a car. And I don’t know why they would even want to. Back then no one cared about what the VIN was, or put any special significance on it. That came a little later.

The Build sheet shows in the special order Section 426 Wedge.

The car was special ordered by Mr Norm one of few guys that had the power to get Chrysler to do something out of the blue

The VIN that the car is Legally registered with and is on the body! Not a piece of paper supports that the car had or was planned to have a 426 Wedge motor in it

Modifying VINs is illegal even if it had been Mr Norm so he wouldn’t have been able to put the H in the Cars VIN

Yeah, even in the 60s I cant believe dealers were allowed to re-VIN a car. And I don’t know why they would even want to. Back then no one cared about what the VIN was, or put any special significance on it. That came a little later.
It is harder to believe it left the factory with one vin tag, and an extra in the glove box for the dealer to do a chisel and replace. Now, did they send an unbuilt car to the dealer with a motor in the trunk? Who knows.
Being that they did have that motor easily available in the exact same car in the previous model year, makes the possibility of it being a factory job more palatable.
A distant example would be the 440 LRTs if not already mentioned.

Man, they wouldn't put special order 426 wedge on a build sheet for the **** of it. Sheesh, people on here pick flyshit out of pepper sometimes. It's the reason I got out of the mopar hobby for years.
My personal opinion, you've got a stupid rare car that is very cool no matter what others say. If they aren't standing there pen in hand, checkbook open, it doesn't matter what they think. Get it together, and rock the **** out of that car. It was made in the days where money and clout meant more than rules. It was a good time.

Not a piece of paper supports that the car had or was planned to have a 426 Wedge motor in it...

Thank you.

It's difficult to reach out to people, ask them for their input and interpretation of something you don't understand, at no cost, then disagree with their interpretation or effort to explain potential scenarios of what's been presented in an effort for you to better understand what you have. Only trying to help.

"Id rather you just say 'Thank you" and be on you way". (and there's your 90's movie reference for this thread)

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 6.59.59 PM.png

I have a friend, his name is George Montgomery, most of you won't have a clue who he is, those that do are the drag racing faithful. He tells me stories of how Ford would send him engines and parts for his race car even after they claimed they pulled out of racing. Mopar pestered him(his words) to run a hemi in his Gasser, but he was Ford loyal and stuck with them. Point of the story, a lot of stuff fell out the back door for the dealers and racers that supported the brand. He used the Cammers and Boss engines sent to him. Garlits shared similar stories when I saw him speak at the NHOA meet years and years ago. One of George's early hot rods is on display at Garlit's museum and his willys is on display at the Henry Ford museum.

Sorry, posting while lit.

No. It only shows 699. Not WHY it's a special order. As of now that's only guessing.

Not a piece of paper supports that the car had or was planned to have a 426 Wedge motor in it...

Thank you.

It's difficult to reach out to people, ask them for their input and interpretation of something you don't understand, at no cost, then disagree with their interpretation or effort to explain potential scenarios of what's been presented in an effort for you to better understand what you have. Only trying to help.

"Id rather you just say 'Thank you" and be on you way". (and there's your 90's movie reference for this thread)

View attachment 1418288
Man, I don't want to argue with you, but the build sheet shows 426 wedge on it and you are ignoring that. Ok, so why would they put that on there? Trim option?, no. Trans option, no. Engine? Maybe?

Unless I missed it, I never got an answer whether the car in question has a 22" rad support or 26" ?

Thank you.

View attachment 1418288
I had 0 intention to reach out in the first place but it seems like we couldn’t go a couple of pages without the IBM card being brought up so I finally brought it up the reason I didn’t bring it up is the exact reason that’s happening on here now you haven’t presented any scenarios since your first comment on here it’s been “that’s a 383 car”

Auto Transport Service
Back