• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

Not a great photo at all but it’s what I’ve got until this weekend when I finish doing the brake work

BE3C8BA4-D864-47A5-9E8B-6CF8BBC15DB6.png

I had 0 intention to reach out in the first place but it seems like we couldn’t go a couple of pages without the IBM card being brought up so I finally brought it up the reason I didn’t bring it up is the exact reason that’s happening on here now you haven’t presented any scenarios since your first comment on here it’s been “that’s a 383 car”
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.56.27 PM.png

Potential scenario communicated to you today via PM.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 9.00.16 PM.jpg

You may call me anything you like but do not call me unhelpful or imply I am untruthful or have give you nothing of value.. I have supported you all the way on this. I have given you honest actionable answers to your question. I have provided you decode information on factory documents. I've not fed into any whishful-hopeful-wanna be dreams. I've not blown smoke up your rear and charged you for it. I will not acknowledge incomplete documentation.

No response is necessary.
I truly wish you nothing but the best and final answers to your question.

Last edited:
View attachment 1418358

Potential scenario communicated to you today via PM.

View attachment 1418360

You may call me anything you like but do not call me unhelpful or imply I am untruthful or have give you nothing of value.. I have supported you all the way on this. I have given you honest actionable answers to your question. I have provided you decode information on factory documents. I've not fed into any whishful-hopeful-wanna be dreams. I've not blown smoke up your rear and charged you for it. I will not acknowledge incomplete documentation.

No response is necessary.
I truly wish you nothing but the best and final answers to your question.
I didn’t deny I did ask for help decoding it but I also didn’t intend to show the IBM card either since it gained no new or useful knowledge I could tell that much from when I did look at it

There’s no wishful wanna be dreams going on it’s all laid out cut and dry straight to the point the car is a 426 Wedge 66 Dodge and it was special ordered that way by Mr Norm

Very interesting, the broadcast sheet with the extra note on it, and the VIN tag that doesn't match the rest of the paperwork. It is possible that this is a very rare machine special ordered OR modified when new.
This is probably one of those issues that will never be 100% known for certain, and will be argued about from now on.

Very interesting, the broadcast sheet with the extra note on it, and the VIN tag that doesn't match the rest of the paperwork. It is possible that this is a very rare machine special ordered OR modified when new.
This is probably one of those issues that will never be 100% known for certain, and will be argued about from now on.
If I'm not mistaken the engine code and the note on the build sheet both say 426 wedge. 20 pages to read through to confirm it though.

So a missing part of this puzze is this-

Apparently galen has record of a few more cars that were, as he says "converted to 426W" by Grand Spaulding.

If we knew what the VIN numbers were, it could put some of this to rest.

My theory is:

If they are "G" VIN cars, then perhaps they were built with "big block spec", with no engine, or even a 383 installed, but sold to Norm for his conversions, and the OP car has a typo VIN.

If they are "H" VIN, then perhaps that was to signify the somewhat coordinated conversion.

I wonder if the OP asked Chrysler Historical if they have record of the WH23H VIN?
The post above seems to indicate they used WH23G, which is a car that "doesn't exist", but apprently they have record of.
That would actually further the mis-stamped/typo VIN theory.

On the bright side-

What the OP has is a one of 1679 built 383-4 66 Coronet 440 that was sold at Grand Spaulding, and seems to have a very interesting history.
...and with a VIN tat may or may not have a typo, but is the most favorable typo a Chrysler car could ever have.
...or could have been a "highly desirable" Mr. Norm's conversion.
All those things are big pluses for the car.

Back to my theory- if Galen can provide VIN numbers (and perhaps a bit more info) on the other cars he has "documented" I believe this story could indeed have an end.

Last edited:

Apparently galen has record of a few more cars that were, as he says "converted to 426W" by Grand Spaulding.

My theory is:

If they are "G" VIN cars, then perhaps they were built with "big block spec", with no engine, or even a 383 installed, but sold to Norm for his conversions, and the OP car has a typo VIN.

If they are "H" VIN, then perhaps that was to signify the somewhat coordinated conversion.

I wonder if the OP asked Chrysler Historical if they have record of the WH23H VIN?
The post above seems to indicate they used WH23G, which is a car that "doesn't exist", but apprently they have record of.

On the bright side-

What the OP has is a one of 1679 built 383-4 66 Coronet 440 that was sold at Grand Spaulding, and seems to have a very interesting history.
...and with a VIN tat may or may not have a typo, but is the most favorable typo a Chrysler car could ever have.

Back to my theory- if Galen can provide VIN numbers (and perhaps a bit more info) on the other cars he has "documented" I believe this story could indeed have an end.
I’ve had the discussion with Galen at the moment there is 1 other 426 Wedge car that is actually known of and 1 that is rumored the other car that is known of is the exact same way with the VINs the car has an H on the body and it has a G on the build sheets

I’ve had the discussion with Galen at the moment there is 1 other 426 Wedge car that is actually known of and 1 that is rumored the other car that is known of is the exact same way with the VINs the car has an H on the body and it has a G on the build sheets
If, and/or when, this documentation, proof, or confirmation is found please post it here. This is another "Mopar Mystery". :thumbsup:

If, and/or when, this documentation, proof, or confirmation is found please post it here. This is another "Mopar Mystery". :thumbsup:
The simplified version of the story is that Mr Norm special ordered 50 of these 426 Wedge cars in total (ours being one of the last ones having been produced) but it’s unknown what happened to the other 47 of the cars

He said 50 was the minimum number of cars required for them to be made or raced or something I’d have to look back at our conversation

To answer my question, your picture shows that the car has a 22" round top radiator, which is consistent with a 1966 " G" 383-build Coronet. An "H" code would have a 26" square top radiator. It is my belief that you have a very special car there, based on the information you have provided. Congratulations!

My theory is:

On the bright side-

Agreed, if Galen could share with us the others he has found then that would confirm for everyone this is the Mr. Norm car we think it is.

Good luck solving the puzzle. I'm hoping he's not confusing the "50 or so" Plymouth HP2's that were built pre Christmas vs a Mr Norms special Coronet order...seeing he's only seen one or two.

Last edited:
I do fully believe at one point this car and the other cars were all intended to be 383 cars

I do wonder if the H was used to indicate that the car was going to be one of the Mr Norm special order cars

All of what I said in this reply here though is purely speculation and guessing though

I do fully believe at one point this car and the other cars were all intended to be 383 cars

I do wonder if the H was used to indicate that the car was going to be one of the Mr Norm special order cars

All of what I said in this reply here though is purely speculation and guessing though
Thank you for staying and sharing the info you've collected thus far.
Have to agree that when the paper order started, the only sales code they had for this body style in a wedge 4bbl was a 383, hence the default 62 code.
Then to update the special order info, the remark 426 wedge is shown right where it should, at the bottom.
The vin tag is the clincher.
Now proof of whether the engine was installed by them.... I think all you have is to find a local old timer that remembers..which isn't great proof, but would sure help the story.
What was the deal with the Barracuda H code 383s that were 440 cars before chrysler made them?

Thank you for staying and sharing the info you've collected thus far.
Have to agree that when the paper order started, the only sales code they had for this body style in a wedge 4bbl was a 383, hence the default 62 code.
Then to update the special order info, the remark 426 wedge is shown right where it should, at the bottom.
The vin tag is the clincher.
Now proof of whether the engine was installed by them.... I think all you have is to find a local old timer that remembers..which isn't great proof, but would sure help the story.
What was the deal with the Barracuda H code 383s that were 440 cars before chrysler made them?
One of my theories I had wondered was if the H was possibly used to designate these 426 Cubic inch wedge cars Mr Norm would receive then when the street Hemi was put in the car Chrysler decided to just roll with the H since those cars already had a tag for a 426 CI motor again this is speculation here

I have talked to guys that remember when the car was drag raced nobody knows exactly what the first motor in the car was but that motor got blown up while racing

The car is currently sporting a 70 HP 383 in it which is pretty obvious that one’s not the original motor

On topic of the Barracudas I’m actually unsure I’ve heard there were A12/M Code/6 pack/6 BBL Roadrunners that were extremely early production and had a 383 VIN on them

Also I figured as a quick mention we have been invited to bring the car to Mopars in the Park

We will also be bringing it to Moparty we would like to try and add Carlisle and the Nats to that list as well

C83458D2-A74F-4C2B-97C5-3C1533C053EC.jpeg

I might of missed something but did the IBM card show the dealer that ordered the car or the dealer it was delivered to?

Auto Transport Service
Back