• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440+6 how Harmonic balancer ?

Bonehead70GeTeX

Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 GTX with 440 /4bbl it was my dads car so I know her history here’s the deal
It has a 440 but it is externally balanced as a 440/6pack motor ? I know this because, I had tranny worked few years ago , we sent a torque converter ( not original one ) off and had set or what ever they do for cam , gear ratio ext ,when I got it back installed it had bad Vibration, sent Torque converter back and had it balanced , problem solved, I checked out the original torque convert that came out of the car and it did have a weight weight ,,
My problem today is it Has a small vibration not hardly detectable at about 15 and 3000 RPMs , I rebuilt motor and One of the bolts on the harmoic balancer was stripped out so I put another bolt but I think I got the balance off if that makes sense? Could this be my trouble?

327C1352-8B93-4CDC-B400-91CF6CB830E5.jpeg

No. Any perceivable difference between the two bolts, at such a small offset from the rotational centerline will not have any impact on the balance.

If the opposite bolt is replaced with the same size bolt it will cancel it out' and if the vibration goes away you then you will know if its the culprit...but very, very unlikely to have any effect. I can't really tell what was done in the pic? Was it tapped to bigger bolt?

Last edited:
If the opposite bolt is replaced with the same size bolt it will cancel it out' and if the vibration goes away you then you will know if its the culprit...but very, very unlikely to have any effect. I can't really tell what was done in the pic? Was it tapped to bigger bolt?
Well kinda tapped , little larger bolt cross trapped with a little lock tight,, I guess I need to remove tap and do it right

Auto Transport Service
Back