• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LA & RB converters

DaveW

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Hopefully you guys can help me out here. I was always a Chevy guy so, Im kind of new to Mopars.

My question....are Mopar converters the same on internally and externally balanced engines ?

Can the converter from my 360 (externally balanced) be used on a 440 ( internally balanced) ? Only asking about the converter....not the flex plate or trans.

Thanks.

No. Internal balanced converters have no weights on them, where a external balanced converter will have weights on them.

As mentioned remove the weight.. Aftermarket flex plates make it possible to use neutral balance T/C's on extremal balance engines... Use a cut off wheel to cut the welds, don't cut into the convertor, cut parallel to the convertor then grind the excess welds after the weights are removed...

The external balance weights at thick like 1/4". Neutral balanced converters may have weights as well. But they'll be thin.
Doug

I've removed the 'big' weight off of external converters before but then you don't really know if it's balanced to '0' after you do that. Guess I got lucky the times I did it but they were on street driven daily drivers that didn't seen high rpm. I sure wouldn't do that on a hi-po engine.

Ok, so Im not quite clear.
I have a B&M B&M flexplate (10235). It has the notch out of it....does that mean it's a blanced flexplate and a neutral converter (it's a 9.5"Dynamic).

20231021_231820.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so Im not quite clear.
I have a B&M B&M flexplate (10235). It has the notch out of it....does that mean it's a blanced flexplate and a neutral converter (it's a 9.5"Dynamic).

View attachment 1544855
Short answer, yes. If there's nothing else going on ( mid plate, spacers, etc) it should work in the 440.
But you say it's a 360, and that appears to be a 340 flexplate . Strange, and unrelated to your initial question.

Auto Transport Service
Back