• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 6 pack distributor and ignition.

G-man69

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
Folks, I know this subject has been beat to death, but I've read much on different forums that my head is killing me and I still don't have any answers. Please forgive my ignorance. Here goes:

We're installing a 440 with a 6 pack setup in a 69 Charger. Everything I've read, says the distributor has to be different from a regular 440 dist, because of the location of the vacuum advance. If not, the breather will hit the VA. I'm looking for an Electronic Dist that will work with the 6 pack and looks original ie, brown cap, etc. Also need recommendations on the rest of the ignition system. I also think that I'll have to change the board in the Tic Toc tach to go with electronic. I know that plenty of you folks have done this but right now I'm really confused on where to start. Distributor I think. Thanks.

9DB44FF5-CD0D-4FBB-AD83-027100F569ED.png
Folks, I know this subject has been beat to death, but I've read much on different forums that my head is killing me and I still don't have any answers. Please forgive my ignorance. Here goes:

We're installing a 440 with a 6 pack setup in a 69 Charger. Everything I've read, says the distributor has to be different from a regular 440 dist, because of the location of the vacuum advance. If not, the breather will hit the VA. I'm looking for an Electronic Dist that will work with the 6 pack and looks original ie, brown cap, etc. Also need recommendations on the rest of the ignition system. I also think that I'll have to change the board in the Tic Toc tach to go with electronic. I know that plenty of you folks have done this but right now I'm really confused on where to start. Distributor I think. Thanks.

Ive used several distributors in my 440 six pack, none of them were specific to a six pack engine. Never any issues.

I don't recall any issue with that. I had a 6 Pack with a DC electronic distributor with the vacuum advance, no conflict. There is also the option of changing the position of the distributor drive gear to move the vacuum advance mechanism away from the manifold.

Any stock Chrysler Corp distributor will clear the 6 pack. When the drive gear is installed correctly the is plenty of room for vac advance. Wherever you read that it won’t fit then stop reading things from that source.

Last edited:
I concur with R413's assessment. See a pix of my RS23V0A****** GTX with the origional Prestolite dual point distributor. There is ample room for it under the air cleaner base. The origional 1969 1/2 RR with the lift off hood was similar. I can't speak directly about any after market distributor, except, pethaps, the Mopar electronic ignition ignition conversion, which would fit just fine.
upload_2021-8-4_15-43-50.png

Yes... the wires are incorrect.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back