• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 cam sujestions,needed

63dodge440

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
i want to pep up my stock 69 440 with a cam, without going to a stall, rockers ect, i was told to stay under 500 lift for stock use... not sure... stock 63 dodge 440... ideas

Don't get hung up on lift as it really doesn't matter in your case. What I mean is any mild cam will have adequate lift for stock heads so focus more on lobe separation to tune your power curve and the intake valve closing spec and how it affects cylinder pressure. For an upgrade on a "stock" motor you have to keep the cam mild or you will be sorry. Another thing to consider is bigger cams require stronger springs and that requires stronger valve gear and so on. Keep it simple and cheap. Also the factory intake is not as big of a problem as most people think.

Quick and cheap recipe for a performance improvement:

Free up the exhaust. 2.5 - 3" duals with low restriction mufflers. Headers can be a plus over log manifolds but HP manifolds may be just fine and not worth the effort to change over. If you are starting with crap then go with headers.

Select a cam that will work with your ACTUAL compression ratio. If you don't know your actual ratio then be conservative. For a street 440 a 112 lobe separation cam is nice as it provides a little more peak torque but still has a fairly wide power band for around town driving.

A good ignition like an MSD or even the orange box kit are all you need. The distributor should have a performance curve built in. Vac advance is always recommended for a street car.

Adjust your gear ratio. This really must tie in to the engine build and how you expect to use the car. With the mild 112 LC cam a 3.55 - 3.91 gear is ideal for a true street strip car if you make frequent visits tot he track. If you spend more time driving but enjoy nice acceleration, use the 3.23.

A converter stall of about 1000 RPM over stock is good but not too loose or you will loose efficiency.

A 750 AFB works very well on a stock intake. Or you can go with a six pack but it's more time consuming to dial in, however the results can be fantastic! Certainly if you find a good deal on an aftermarket dual plane then go for it.

Fuel supply can be an aftermarket mech pump or electric and the stock 5/16" line is plenty. No more than 7 PSI at the carb.

with stock everything i think i'd try one of the big summit cams. they're inexpensive, people who use them seem to like them. should work quit well with a stock converter and exhaust. would do a one step up in valve springs.

what is a good after market intake will a single plane work best,,, i have a few i g team.. looks like to much intake? and i have a performer duel plane, was told single would be better, not sure...

i prefer dual planes for street use. they make more torque in the rpm range normally associated with a street engine. the single plane can make more power up on top with a potential sacrifice in torque in the low and midrange. if you have both try the dual plane first.

i have a brand new comp cams 268 hi energy cam un opened in the box all u need is lifters, great replacement cam with plenty of torque ill take 75 bucks. plus the ride. save on not having to buy springs if u have better than stock springs already, the hi po motors should have them from the factory.

Auto Transport Service
Back