• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 date code help

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
The 440 I am pulling out of my 68 has J 440 3 6 E on the pad by the distributor. If I get this right I think it is 3rd month 6th day of 73 right or are these number something else. All help appreciated.
Thanks

So far:
I have:
Year 1973
Cast Crank
There should be a DATE CODE that is based on 10,000 day Julian Calendar, it would be something like: 2568 I think or something in the line of that

Also, there should be a sequential number for each days with production beginning with 0001

The 440 I am pulling out of my 68 has J 440 3 6 E on the pad by the distributor. If I get this right I think it is 3rd month 6th day of 73 right or are these number something else. All help appreciated.
Thanks
As stated, it's out of a73 model year car. Assembled March 6th. Look for the VINon the passengers side to help determine what it came out of.

As stated, it's out of a73 model year car. Assembled March 6th. Look for the VINon the passengers side to help determine what it came out of.
OK I pulled the 440 out of the 68 today. On the passengers side I found these numbers
1*25*73

D N
Then above the oil pan in the middle was C239005
So what does this all tell me?

OK I pulled the 440 out of the 68 today. On the passengers side I found these numbers
1*25*73 Block was cast Jan 25, 1973

36988304408 Casing number for 72-78 440

D N
Then above the oil pan in the middle was C239005 Is this number cast into the block or stamped on the pad?
So what does this all tell me?

The C239055 is the number stamped on the little pad down by the oil pan on the passengers side.
Thanks

The C239055 is the number stamped on the little pad down by the oil pan on the passengers side.
Thanks

If you look closely you'll probably find a "3" in front of the "C".

"C" is the plant where the car was built. C is the Jefferson plant. They built Chryslers and Imperials so the engine came from either a Chrysler or an Imperial.

If you look closely you'll probably find a "3" in front of the "C".

"C" is the plant where the car was built. C is the Jefferson plant. They built Chryslers and Imperials so the engine came from either a Chrysler or an Imperial.

I will have to look again. It was in my 68 charger but it will be in a 73 U code charger later on. I bought a U code charger with no engine. I was in hopes it was a charger engine because it will be at least period correct. Were the 440's in 73 chargers still HP motors? And thank you for your knowledge. I think this U code would have been a nice car to have it appears to have a lot of options like power windows AC power disc brakes but I cant really confirm what belongs and what don't as someone took the fender tag while it sat out. And no build sheet.

Auto Transport Service
Back