• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 forged crank pilot bushing hole

Nope. But they do offer a roller bearing that presses into the converter pilot hole.
Doug

There's a second thing to be aware of. The hole drilled may not be large enough in diameter for a bushing or deep enough to accept the nose of the trans input shaft. You may have seen 833's with the nose cut off. That's why.

'60s forged cranks usually have them drilled, but later cast crank autos not so much.

And, if you have a drilled one but was an auto and the hole wasn’t finish honed, you can buy an undersized OD bushing.
That way you don’t have to use a roller bearing.

Last edited:
Description of an auto crank and roller bearing 2/3 down the page. My '66 383 crank had only a shallow center like this ....
https://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/4sptech.shtml

What vintage chromoly is referring to.
This 440 "auto" crank has the depth needed for an uncut trans input. However, the bore for the standard pilot bushing is under size.

upload_2020-3-3_15-9-15.png

If I had the crank out I would chuck it in a lathe and mach it. I've also used the press/hammer in bearing a couple times on the non machined cranks and when the input shaft was shortened. But. if the crank is out and you have an unmolested input shaft I would have it done at the auto machine shop if you don't have access or own a lathe.

I recall buying those under size bushings at NAPA back in the day.
Mike

The 4 speed crank has a hole bore of 3/4 inch. The auto cranks have a hole bore of 11/16. The hole is usually not quite deep enough for the input shaft. That why u may need to have the crank drilled bigger and deeper. I have a couple bushings I had made years ago I u need/want 1. The roller bearing from a 94 up v8 works in the crank register. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back