• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 head gaskets

c.moo

Local time
7:18 AM
Reaction score
Was checking out another forum and this person said has engine was running hot , he put new head gaskets on it and he said he drill 2- 5/8 inch holes near exhaust and 3 -1/2 inch holes near lifter valley in his head gaskets and said runs cool , stays at 180 , never heard of this before ? Does this work ?

I doubt it. See the post about head gasket slits at the bottom of this page.

My question would be why do you have to modify head gaskets to work on your motor when they work fine on every other motor? Maybe you treated the symptom, not the problem. There's a risk of getting a cooler temperature at the sender but hotter everywhere else.

I've noticed the slit hole differences in head gaskets and I'm not sure there's anything big to get there. From my own experiences I believe most cooling issues are radiator problems. I've found the felpro 8519 gasket is the most reliable. They're very forgiving. A steel shim will want a clean smooth surface to mate to.

Auto Transport Service
Back