• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine question

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
So I bought the 70 charger last year and it has a 318. Was told engine was rebuilt. Took off valve covers and intake and it seems to be true from what I can see. I asked the owner if it was broke in and he said he did not know. He said he drove the car 20 miles and that was it. Car sat since 2006. Engine was frozed when I got it. Got it running,70 psi then pulled the engine. Sat for a month maybe 2 covered. Went to spin it with no plugs and only could turn it a 1/2 inch. Could the engine not be broken in yet?Ant thoughts? thanks Dave

Well it's up to you.You can soak each cylinder with something like Blaster penetrating oil.
Let it sit a few days and then work the crank bolt back and forth a little each way till it starts to move free in the clockwise rotation. Or pull the heads and see what's going on.
I wouldn't believe the "Not broke in story.''

Well it's up to you.You can soak each cylinder with something like Blaster penetrating oil.
Let it sit a few days and then work the crank bolt back and forth a little each way till it starts to move free in the clockwise rotation. Or pull the heads and see what's going on.
I wouldn't believe the "Not broke in story.''
Yep I used marvel mystery oil to break it free. It was just weird that it frozed up that quick.

I assume you checked the oil and there is no water in the oil right?

Something is wrong if it will only turn 1/2” after you had it running. I’d open it up and see if there is contamination or wrong clearances. What does the future hold for this unit unless you look inside?

Broken in or not it should turn without binding up.

So I bought the 70 charger last year and it has a 318. Was told engine was rebuilt. Took off valve covers and intake and it seems to be true from what I can see. I asked the owner if it was broke in and he said he did not know. He said he drove the car 20 miles and that was it. Car sat since 2006. Engine was frozed when I got it. Got it running,70 psi then pulled the engine. Sat for a month maybe 2 covered. Went to spin it with no plugs and only could turn it a 1/2 inch. Could the engine not be broken in yet?Ant thoughts? thanks Dave
Save the guesswork, and pull the engine. I never take "it's rebuilt" at face value.

Your engine is just broken, forget about being broken in.

Throw some sand in it and fire that ****** up. It's a 318 for Christ's sake. Bomb proof.
The 318 in my son's 72 Duster sat for 26 years out in the weather, original engine. We soaked it down for two weeks with Marvel, filled every cylinder, dumped it down the carb and valve covers, every orifice we could find. 3 gallons total.
We let it sit for 2 weeks then drained it. Rolled over like butter. He has 26,000 more miles on it now, abused by a teenager. ORIGINAL 1972 ENGINE.

Baby it, it will go.

Did you try to spin it the opposite direction after it stopped after the 1/2"???

See if it will spin farther in the opposite direction... If it does and then stops again, remove the rocker arms and see if one of the valves is stuck in the open position and go from there... Gently tap on all of the valves with a hammer to see if they will move/open...

From the information you have provided so far I suspect a stuck valve...

If you cannot find anything doing that, then I would recommend pulling the heads off and looking closely at the heads and cylinders...

Throw some sand in it and fire that ****** up. It's a 318 for Christ's sake. Bomb proof.
The 318 in my son's 72 Duster sat for 26 years out in the weather, original engine. We soaked it down for two weeks with Marvel, filled every cylinder, dumped it down the carb and valve covers, every orifice we could find. 3 gallons total.
We let it sit for 2 weeks then drained it. Rolled over like butter. He has 26,000 more miles on it now, abused by a teenager. ORIGINAL 1972 ENGINE.

Baby it, it will go.
Rub some dirt on it, everything stops bleeding eventually.

Did you try to spin it the opposite direction after it stopped after the 1/2"???

See if it will spin farther in the opposite direction... If it does and then stops again, remove the rocker arms and see if one of the valves is stuck in the open position and go from there... Gently tap on all of the valves with a hammer to see if they will move/open...

From the information you have provided so far I suspect a stuck valve...

If you cannot find anything doing that, then I would recommend pulling the heads off and looking closely at the heads and cylinders...
Or you could just throw some sand in it and run it. :poke:

But seriously, it can be fixed...

I've been building them for 40 years...

I once bought a 74 Valiant where the guy pulled the right side head off and it sat open for years and had some surface rust in the cylinders... I ran a 4" wire wheel in each cylinder after putting them at bdc and then cleaned all of the crud out (shop vac and air compressor), lubed the cylinder walls and put the heads back on and ran it for years...

These are all heartwarming stories, but this engine has been run very little and it doesn’t want to turn. Not really going to work out very well If you just run it and hope for the best, something is wrong with it. It could be an easy fix, or need more machine work. But if it looks new inside then it is worth doing right.

****, rough crowd tonight.
Simple solution R413, yank it out and go through it yourself or hire a pro.
There is no simple website forum fix for this which is what I think you're looking for.
Seems to me you need option 2.

A few drinkers in the crowd
R413 doesn't own the Ops engine.
I agree , yard off the shishkabobs and see how it rolls over.
Observation of the situation will tell you what you need to know.

Hello Dave,
"Car sat since 2006"
It's a pretty good guess that since that
motor sat for close to 18 years, that
there may be some internal problems
created, and your starting it up after
sitting for that long, caused whatever
failure you're faced with now.
Listen to those here for possible
remedies. I have my suspicions as
to what the motors problem is and
they've all been pretty much covered
here.
Good luck

Was told engine was rebuilt.
Never trust what another person tells you. Their memory could be faded, or they could be confused with another fantasy build.

Do the soaking as suggested, see if turns over after two weeks, and report back. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back