• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 head question

boardog

Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
i have a very small water leak out of one of the front header bolts. Do all the exhaust bolt holes go into the water jacket? i am new to the mopar stuff and did not put sealant on the threads.

2023-05-09 13.00.51.jpg

Depends on the casting number but most of the BB heads all go to coolant.

Use this on the threads. Works great on big block exhaust studs! $13.50 on Amazon. I had a leaker on my 383, sealed it with this back in 2012. Never leaked a drop since.

IMG_3964.jpeg

Just treat all the holes as being wet, to be safe.

Use this on the threads. Works great on big block exhaust studs! $13.50 on Amazon. I had a leaker on my 383, sealed it with this back in 2012. Never leaked a drop since.

View attachment 1473223
This is the product to use, and there's other places on the motor to use it as well.

R413 is correct. Some of the older heads had some blind holes, and some wet. The later heads that you are likely to have all have the holes wet, and need sealer.
I used the same permatex as above.

Auto Transport Service
Back