• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Mathematical

Motor home 440s, I like them.
Funny this subject comes up again.
Just watched Nick's garage on u tube dyno a 72 ,440 standard bore and bottom.
Pistons 150 below deck. Left the original bearings , cam ect.
Owner stuck a set of 516 heads on and a 750 holley on a cast intake.
That was it, running through stock cast truck manifolds it pulled 334hp and 402lbs off the crank.
True no alternator , fan, ect.
But that's pretty good .
$750 on swap meet bolt ons your North of 400 hp prob 450 lbs.
Plus you can gas her up at any C store on 87. I fail to see the down side.
February: Ad reads: 1972 OEM Original 449 Mopar Engine Chrysler Dodge... I'd seen other blocks but they were high in price, some had heavily pitted cylinders others with not enough pictures. This one was closed up. It had a rag in the intake opening and the distributor bore. It looked honest enough. He was somewhat stubborn on price and cancelled my previous valve cover purchase. As we talked he mentioned he was almost or pretty sure the engine was out of a mobile home. I haven't corroborated it yet but I'm confident R413 nailed it. - C Body.

Seems to me your asking these questions way to late in the process. Sounds like you already own the block !!

Motorhome ... depending on age may not be a 440 and may even be a truck block with 8-bolt crank and reverse rotation cam, etc..

My opinion would be to find a car block. A '74 will have a beefier block and will have heads with hardened valve seats.
The engine was delivered in February, however I didn't tear it down until late last month. While it was sitting I noticed a six bolt flexplate and a narrow vibration dampener. Seller's pictures were also pretty Ok. I'm not going to use the heads and intake. It was decoded in this thread as a C Body block.

I was thinking the rotation of the earth.....
Yes, however that doesn't become obvious until after you have shifted your transmission to reverse and hit the gas but realize, "Hey, I might not be going anywhere"!...

Last edited:
Might be a little extreme but if it turns out to be a reverse rotation engine, you could always make one of these.
:lol:

12362856_10153385516978720_6777911554952336686_o.jpg

Yes, however that doesn't become obvious until after you have shifted your transmission to reverse and hit the gas but realize, "Hey, I might not be going anywhere"!...
Oh man....hit reverse lots of times while going forward....but did it on poipous :D
Might be a little extreme but if it turns out to be a reverse rotation engine, you could always make one of these.
:lol:

View attachment 1539772
Never really liked those....little bit too strange lol

Auto Transport Service
Back