• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 oil pressure

hemiEssex

Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
In my 65 Coronet I have a 68 440HP motor. Bored 40 over, stock crank, iron heads, cammed, eddy performer manifold, headers and 3 inch exhaust. I purchased the motor mount kit from Schumacker as i did not like the way the previous owner had shoehorned the engine into the car. I purchased the mount kit, oil pan and pickup and trans adapter to run the new style tranny with it. I used 15/40 Rotella T oil in it after breaking it in on Breakin oil, draining it and added a Delco oil supplement to it. I drove it on its maiden voyage 900 miles. It worked fine all the way there. When I parked it and then fired it up again, i lost all oil pressure. After alot of hums and haws, a friend suggested that my newly installed Fram oil filter may be the culprit and to try and change it before tearing into the engine. I changed the filter and up came the oil pressure right away. So I brought it home and changed the oil and filter again and used a Mopar filter. Also for good measure I changed out the stock oil pump for a Mopar performance high vol pump just to make sure everything was good. On their website the pump is recommended for street and lightly modified engines. Now for my questions:
When I drive it at 2000rpms the pressure stays at 65-70lbs. When I punch it it drops drastically to 15 lbs and I can hear the valves start to rattle like they are starving for oil(I have only done this once to see how low the pressure drops) Am I sucking the pan dry with the hi vol pump? or could the pickup be plugged from the oil filter failure? It is coming on to winter here so I am going to pull the pan anyways to get a look at the pickup etc. When I am doing this I think I would like to install a deep sump pan, windage tray and pickup. Anybody think it could be something else?? Loose bearing tolerances? Oil passage blockage? I am stumped. At idle it maintains pressure at highway speeds it maintains pressure, is the oil getting foamy? is the pump going to bypass? The pan take 5 liters with the filter. Other than than the motor sounds good with no knocks or valve train noise, but I am worried that I am going to blow it up.
Any help would be appreciated. It is a street driven car, but i would like to give it the occasional poke down the drag strip when I feel it is running properly.
cheers
Steve

I have always ran 10-30 in a high volume setups, sounds like the oil is not getting back to the pan quick enough. do you have a windage tray?

no tray

Yes, I have put 10W30 in it now. I must confess that when I put the pan on, the old pan had a windage tray but I did not use it as I thought it was just part of the old pan system. I know now that I should have used it. Would it make a difference in oil flow if I had?? That is why when I pull it I will make sure one goes back on.

OK well a high volume oil pump without a deep pan (7 quart)is going to be an issue. That drop is the pickup sucking air instead of oil.

It was doing it before

I noticed that when I had the stock pump on it that the oil pressure was low and that it dropped when I punched it so that was why I put a new pump in. It still had pressure though, 5 psi at idle and a steady 40 at speed. The pickup was set at 1/4 inch from the pan. The engine used some oil on the trip, I just chalked it up to breaking in. So what I am saying is that with the small pan, if you were down a quart even, you could easily suck the pan dry also even with a stock pump??

You should probably consider either a high pressure oil pump for your application or switch the pan to a deep pan for a high volume pump. And yes, I notice on mine running a high pressure with a 7qt pan that even then at 80MPH+ that I get wild swings in oil pressure because it is not getting back to the pan fast enough.

I lost oil pressure towards the end of the qtr..had 7 qt pan and hv pump...installed a windage tray and I had no oil pressure drop....I ran 20-50 and had 80 + pounds at startup and when warm always 65 to70 and 45 at idle

the existing pan probably doesn't have an acceleration baffle and when you accellerate hard the oil leaves the sump and starves the pick-up. sounds like wrong pan and pick-up for what your doing. a high volume pump with a 3/8" pick-up probably doesn't make scense, if thats what you have. a milodon windage tray has extra louvres for drain back and i use them. i'd check the bearings when you get the pan off. i don't get into the big pump-high pressure stuff anymore. most street engines don't need it.

Assuming all else is normal the high volume pump alone is not causing the sudden drop in oil pressure. BB MoPars don't have much of an oil return issue either. Even lack of acceleration baffles wouldn't do it - unless your oil level is too low. I suspect you have a restriction at the pickup. The difference between a Qt and liter is small so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Buddy of mine has a 70 cuda 440 +6 when he first bought it started driving it home lost pressure and after some head scratching found out the pump was plugged up. He took a page out of my book and went with a windage tray high volume mildon pump and 1/2" pick up. You have to either have the oil boss already threaded for 1/2" or get a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter but after tat he had no issues.

I run this set up and get 80 psi at warm up and run at 60 at speed and only drops to 40 at idle the worse I've seen.

Even a stock motor I don't think it would hurt to put on a windage tray. Check for clogs for sure my bud had a chunk of metal in his pump...

To dig up a old question? Bigman--With your 80 psi on warm up, have you ever had a problem with oil perklating out of the dipstick tube, if so, what was your fix? I'm seeing this issue as others as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back