• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Piston vs. Rod Orientation?

Story I got on that was, the oiling holes weren't needed anymore, because of improved engine design. BS.
I added my own reliefs in my bearing set. Pretty much the only way the cylinder walls get oil!

Engine section in the SM shows how pistons/rods go into place, if that helps any.
After I thought about it, I agree. That oil hole is designed into the engine and can't be eliminated. As I said, it's been a while but I would make my own as well. Thanks for throwing that in there.

Last edited:
Your quite welcome, Bill.

Got real irritated, on my bearing hunt, no half groove sets. No groove, or full only, and have no idea why they did that. Same thing on the oiling vee in the bearing half. Easy enough to do, with a small file.

Your quite welcome, Bill.

Got real irritated, on my bearing hunt, no half groove sets. No groove, or full only, and have no idea why they did that. Same thing on the oiling vee in the bearing half. Easy enough to do, with a small file.
I hear ya, even Ma Mopar is not offering the correct bearings either?

In my opinion, notch was eliminated to reduce the number of different bearings to make, therefore more profit for them. Short of Chinese bearings, Clevite, Federal Mogul, and King bearings make Domestic bearings. My 331 Hemi bearings made by King for Hemi Hot Heads had the notch. Clevite and FM have removed the notch. I build quite a lot of motors, and really have not seen any negative results from not having the notch. You can notch yours, just make sure to dress the edges on the steel backs so that they will rest in the rod bore properly.

The oil squirt hole is moot anymore as no bearing manufacturer supplies any bearings that have the notch. The next time you assemble a motor, you will see what I mean. The hole is blocked and is not used anymore. The only caveat to that is the early hemi bearings from Hemi Hot Heads made by King bearings (custom built for HHH, and not sold by King to the public), I noticed they had the notch.

Not all motors are numbered from the factory. Sometimes, all you get are symbols. For this reason, I number them when I disassemble the motor.

Interesting as mine had them when I built the eng in my 63 but I did built that eng in 2011. Ron

Many racers used to run loose connecting rod side clearance which will throw more oil out that can splash on the cylinder walls. My bet is even with stock rod side clearance enough oil splashes off the crank journals to keep some oil on the cyl walls since no one has had any problems even without the oil squirt holes in the bearings. Ron

Question on the oil squirt holes. Does oil push around the rod bolt then out the hole? The photo makes it appear the oil path would be through the rod bolt? Surely that is not the case.

Yes, your right, Ron.
Thing is, most production street motors don't run loose clearances. At least not that I know of. Latest engine I've been into was a 69...and it had the squirt holes in the rod bearings.

I guess right on the mark, bearing makers got on the cheap side.

Question on the oil squirt holes. Does oil push around the rod bolt then out the hole? The photo makes it appear the oil path would be through the rod bolt? Surely that is not the case.
Correct, goes around

And, the bolt hole does not have that much affect on what's happening.

Think of it like this...path of least resistance. Depending on rod bearing clearances, tighter gets less, looser gets more, meaning oil. Besides the normal banging around in there, when pressurized oil gets to those bearings, the oil tries to separate the bearings from the crank journal, that film of oil. Has to go somewhere, so out the bearing sides.
Okay, I'll admit, you get 'some' spray onto the cylinders. Enough? Hard to say. So, that spray hole, since piston rings, sidewalls, and piston skirts will last longer.
Oil is sprayed onto the 'upper' surface of the cylinders, and wiped through via the rings.

All builder choices.

Want a funny?

Look at the second photo. Both shells are plain...both have the squirt holes!
My full grooved set was just under $80...double what they used to be, plain or grooved.

Won't say what I think about the cheap, lazy bastards. Oops, just did! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back