• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Plug Wires Recommendations

Karl5203

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
72 440 with headers must be 90 degree on both ends. Any suggestions what part number and where?
Accel got some bad reviews from installers who could not get the wire to push through the 90 degree bend. Thanks in advance .

My go-to is Taylor's "Thundervolt" universal/cut-to-fit 8.2mm set..used them for years now with great results. They measure out at 40-50 ohms/ft and have held up well.
Getting the larger wires through 90° boots is never easy, regardless of brand. My method is to insert the tip of a flat-blade screwdriver into the boot from the opposite end, so when the wire pokes through it kinda rides up the blade just enough to where I can grab it with a pair of needlenose and pull it through. I do smear some dielectric grease on the wire which helps.

Any spiral/heli wound wire. Resistance is not critical.

My choice would be.

This tool is a must have. Perfect crimps

Haisstronica Crimping Tool for Spark Plug Ignition Wire,8.5mm Ratchet Wire Crimper Tool,HS-2048​

MSD from Summit. Nothing tricky, expensive or fancy. They're good quality stuff.
Typically with 440's with headers, some ends will need to be 90 degree, others sort of
a 45 and still others straight out.
Depends on the junkiness of the headers. :)

MSD 31199 8.5MM Plug Wire Set, I custom made the lengths to fit.
Also have the Crimper recommended here.
I ran a good quality heat shield around the boots.
'67 GTX running 440, stock heads W/Summit Headers and power steering.
I haven't had any problems with MSD wires or other MSD parts now or in the past... coils, distributors, etc..
Others may have their own problems with MSD to talk about, but I'm sold on their quality.
Like @moparedtn said, some boots are 90, some 45, some straight...just depends on the headers and clearance I guess.

good suggestions "mostly"
I'd get/use heat shields, I have DEI on mine...
I have RPM angle plug heads too...
I've had good luck with the Summit Racing brand 8.5mm 50-ohm
I combined 2 sets, of straights/180* & 90*, IIRC $79 each
(used my Summit Bucks, no big deal, didn't cost me anything, to get a good set out of 2)

(you really can't get a good set of all the types needed, 45* 180* 90*
or multiple angles, run them away from every tube etc., it takes a combination
of styles/angle on a BBM
)

you can also use the BB Chevy under the valve cover
depending on how you route them, if the BB MoPars aren't listed
depending on what type of cap you choose,
female or HEI style at the cap,
I'm pretty ****-retentive about my plug wires
& the routing & the resistance...
I find something that works & stick with it

I have E3s 40-ohm 8.5mm for my 99 Dakota,
I made out of all straight boots, from another build I had
I really like the quality of both, mentioned brands,
they look a lot alike & similar quality

I had Taylors 7mm for about 15 years on it (like 1200-1500 ohm per/foot)
the resistance was really bad, had troubles with plug 7 & 8 fouling
always a bit of a miss (after quite a bit of time, albeit)
the longest of the wires with the most resistance, 7 & 8
(like 4000-4200 ohms, don't tell me resistance doesn't matter)
after the change to the 8.5 Summit Racing brand/cheapos, knock off
(about 130-150 ohm on the longest wires max resistance),
all plugs read really well now, on all cylinders, no more lil' miss

good luck

Last edited:
MSD on the truck and MOROSO on the GTX, both have proven to be reliable. I prefer a universal wire set so I can route them exactly to my liking.

Accel 9000 ceramic end spark plug wires.
Got these on the Charger because 2" Hooker headers on Edelbrock Victor heads.
I usually just use the MSD plug wires, they seem to be fine with the smaller header tube size.
I haven't used the spark plug heat shield sleeves, but they should help too.

I bought a purple set for my '01 Ram 5.9 Magnum. Ultra quality. They are not sheilded all that well if you are worried about hearing noises in the radio or otherwise, these are for performance.

Bought a set of MSD "make them yourself" cut to length type for my son's Mustang 5.0. They were OK. I did not think they were a whole lot nicer than the silicone jacket "universal" sets you can get at Oreilly's, but, they were red. I was expecting more for 2/3-3/4 the price of the Davis wires.
NOTE: not sure if the link I posted is the exact set you are after, but they have lots of options at Summit.

Auto Transport Service
Back