• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 red line?

sublimegtx

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
After finally graduating from sbc's to a 440 I have a lot to learn. Recently bought a 68' gtx with a mild built 440 bored .030 over and a nice cam. Don't know any other spec's. I am not sure and haven't been able to find what the red line should be. I know most sbc's are around 6k. I had someone tell me it should be 5k. Would this be a correct assumption? :icon_scratch: Thanks.

i don't "rpm" my 440's. a lot depends on head flow, and exhaust. an example; the 440 in my 69 r/t with a 272-.455 mopar cam, 6-pak, stock valve pocket port '906 heads, stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, stock 3.23 rear and converter performed the best being shifted between 5200-5400rpm, and didn't like nothing but the 3.23 rear. took the 6-pak off and installed the stock intake and carb and i think 5000rpm is all it wants.

Hemi-itis That's one sick looking car. Everything looks better with a blower stickin out of the hood. Some day I'll get there :)

Yup, depends on the build and even most stock small blocks won't go to 6000. The stock intake, exhaust and cam usually won't let it happen.

i don't "rpm" my 440's. a lot depends on head flow, and exhaust. an example; the 440 in my 69 r/t with a 272-.455 mopar cam, 6-pak, stock valve pocket port '906 heads, stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, stock 3.23 rear and converter performed the best being shifted between 5200-5400rpm, and didn't like nothing but the 3.23 rear. took the 6-pak off and installed the stock intake and carb and i think 5000rpm is all it wants.
i put the above mentioned combo on a chassis dyno a couple of times. basically it quit making power at 4300rpm and dropped dead at 5300rpm.

Yea, my mild 440 is pretty much done by 5500 rpm. Don't get anything by pushing it harder.

I guess my 440 doesn't play by the rules. I'm running the .455" MoPar cam with iron heads, a factory iron intake and 2" 5209's with 3" noisemasters all the way out the back. It's a mild build but seems to go right to 6000 RPM. I'm running 4.30's right now and I can tell it pretty much goes flat through the lights at 6200 RPM, so I think I have a tad too much gear. 3.91 or 4.10 should be a better match.

I now have a 6 BBL and it will spin the street tires to 6000 RPM in first like it was in neutral. The increase in power is amazing.

I guess my 440 doesn't play by the rules. I'm running the .455" MoPar cam with iron heads, a factory iron intake and 2" 5209's with 3" noisemasters all the way out the back. It's a mild build but seems to go right to 6000 RPM. I'm running 4.30's right now and I can tell it pretty much goes flat through the lights at 6200 RPM, so I think I have a tad too much gear. 3.91 or 4.10 should be a better match.

I now have a 6 BBL and it will spin the street tires to 6000 RPM in first like it was in neutral. The increase in power is amazing.
i think the free flowing exhaust can give up to 500 more useable rpm. you'll love that 6bbl. my car actually performed better in the 1/4 with a 3.23 rear vs a 3.55 or 3.91.

This is an interesting thread, mild 440's should go past 5k? My 493 even before the 3" flowbastards(lol added to dictionary) would make it to 6k easy and to be honest seems to want to go to 8 if I let it. Still haven't been able to get enough courage on the street to see what the actual top end is :) after 120 and that stop light coming up fast with drums all the way around you kind of think well maybe this is a good time to let off lol :laughing1:

This is an interesting thread, mild 440's should go past 5k? My 493 even before the 3" flowbastards(lol added to dictionary) would make it to 6k easy and to be honest seems to want to go to 8 if I let it. Still haven't been able to get enough courage on the street to see what the actual top end is :) after 120 and that stop light coming up fast with drums all the way around you kind of think well maybe this is a good time to let off lol :laughing1:

I "had" a 493 stroker and was "playing" with it one night. It made best power at 5400..going past didn't get much out of it...AND at 6800 it shut off...pretty quiet and spit all kinds of fluid out the back. After the autopsy I snapped the cam in half...destryed #7 cylinder. Various lifters were found rolling around in the valley pan.

I built another,stronger 493 and used harland sharp rockers BUT now have a rev limiter set at 5800. It still,as the other,does best at 5400.

Redline may be 5,500RPM-6,000RPM; but why run the engine that hard, if you stop building any noticeable power around 4,750RPM-5,000RPM. Factory valve train was not designed to be stable at those engine speeds, especially over 6,000RPM with a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft. That is why the 440 six pack uses a 3-bolt camshaft, heavy duty rocker arms, and other valve train modifications to extend life past 5,500RPM. You shouldn't need to wind a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft above 6,000RPM to make power; the lifters aren't designed for that. If you do, you shouldn't be running a Hyd. Flat Tappet Cam! I say 5,500RPM would be my top operating range with a 6K Rev limiter is perfectly fine! That is near what I run with the .545/.545 comp XE HL Cam. I wouldn't dare spin my 451 over 6,000RPM without a solid flat tappet camshaft or solid roller combination with high end valvetrain components. It's not a SBC!!! Rev limiter is set at 6,000RPM.

Only spec's I know for sure are 440 30 over, decent cam, holly 750 with a street dominator intake, Keith Black flat tops, high volume oil pump, 7 qt pan with 4:10's. Guess maybe sometime I could get it dynoed.

i think the free flowing exhaust can give up to 500 more useable rpm. you'll love that 6bbl. my car actually performed better in the 1/4 with a 3.23 rear vs a 3.55 or 3.91.

When I first had it together I had 3.55's and it ran 109 MPH with street tires. With the 4.30's and slicks it runs ~105 MPH, so I'm stretching it out a bit too much right now. That .455" cam in my engine seems to want ~5500 RPM through the lights with the iron 4 BBL intake and 750 AFB. I agree the free flowing exhaust is part of the secret, and I'm just amazed with the performance with the iron 4 BBL intake. I consider this to be a true street engine, meaning daily driver WITH longevity.

I'm running 11" drums all around with power assist and it stops fine at the end of the track, and I can take the first return road at Sac Raceway if I wanted to. However, it probably only has one good hard stop in it. Water cooled drums anyone? haha

Redline may be 5,500RPM-6,000RPM; but why run the engine that hard, if you stop building any noticeable power around 4,750RPM-5,000RPM. Factory valve train was not designed to be stable at those engine speeds, especially over 6,000RPM with a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft. That is why the 440 six pack uses a 3-bolt camshaft, heavy duty rocker arms, and other valve train modifications to extend life past 5,500RPM. You shouldn't need to wind a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft above 6,000RPM to make power; the lifters aren't designed for that. If you do, you shouldn't be running a Hyd. Flat Tappet Cam! I say 5,500RPM would be my top operating range with a 6K Rev limiter is perfectly fine! That is near what I run with the .545/.545 comp XE HL Cam. I wouldn't dare spin my 451 over 6,000RPM without a solid flat tappet camshaft or solid roller combination with high end valvetrain components. It's not a SBC!!! Rev limiter is set at 6,000RPM.

I agree there is no use in spinning something that doesn't make power past some RPM and once you figure that out set the rev limit and forget it. As far as throwing lifters out and other valve train related problems is mostly due to bad push rod geometry. Also cams that don't have a smooth profile tend to require a lot of spring, and that just increases strain and harmonics in the valve train. My little cam only needs about 110 lbs on the seat and I have the Crane iron adjustable rockers and 3/8" push rods. Overkill is acceptable regarding the valve train, at least in my book anyway.

It's not a SBC!!! Rev limiter is set at 6,000RPM.
Yeah, Mopars are better!

I'm running 11" drums all around with power assist and it stops fine at the end of the track, and I can take the first return road at Sac Raceway if I wanted to. However, it probably only has one good hard stop in it. Water cooled drums anyone? haha
I ran drums on my 10.60 car back in the early 80's. With good shoes, I had no problem shutting it down from 126 and I too could hit the 1st turnoff with no problem if needed. The old Houston track had a very short shut down but was long enough to really take it easy and not waste the brakes by going to the end. The new track....well, you almost don't need any brakes if you go all the way to the end lol

Valve train accuracy and strength is key in any motor that is being spun over its factory RPM. I'll spin mine to 7200. 7500 (rarely) at the track. But I'm running .590 Solid (war horse) Purple shaft, Comp cam Push rods, Isky rockers and ported 906's over sized valves and a torquer intake. 11:1 comp Steel crank and Stock rods. that's the old combo. 12.2 @ 110 in Vegas.

Here is the new one.

MP Roller rockers Double springs, Titanium keepers and Retainers. RPM's Fully ported with a match ported victor intake and an 850 Mighty Demon. 11:1 Comp Steel crank and Stock rods.. I wont spin this top end any faster but bottom line is Strong valve train components and the right head flow, induction and exhaust will make power passed 5500 RPM.

P.s welcome to the big leagues! Hope your pocket book can handle a mopar. lol!

I'm running a 431, 440 crank in a 383 .030 over block. 11:1 forged pistons, ported 906 heads with stock valve size, .580 lift solid flat tappet cam, 3/8 push rods, 440 source rockers, erson dual valve springs, dual 450 cfm holleys, hooker super comp fenderwell headers, and she is comfortable at 7 grand.

Attachments

• back in3.JPG
    back in3.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 729
Hi,
just reading the post, maybe someone had a slight idea on where my chrarger might redline i ahve stroked 440 - 512 (muscle motors stroker kit) has lunati voodoo cam that states rev range 3800-6500rpm, have ported stealth heads edelbrock dual intake with 2 holley 500 cfm carbs, hydraulic flat tappet with roller rockers, is on a a833 4 speed OD with 8 3/4 3:55 gears with detroit true trac.

i have aftermarket altimeter gauges and the damn thing reads upto 10,000rpm lol so i am not sure where to draw my red line on the gauge, i did rev the engine upto 6300rpm the other day and it sounded like it had lots to go, anyone got anyy ideas?

Auto Transport Service
Back