• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information on this cam shaft

Dwaz45

Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 68 roadrunner with a 440 in it. I inherited it from my father as a project and finished the car and had the motor built with all the parts that he had accumulated. I'm hoping that someone can decipher the cam that's in the motor. Im just curious as to how it compares to a OEM 440 back in the day. It's not a hot rod but I do know he had beefier internals for it and it's got 915 heads with the bigger valves. Thank you for any insight someone might be able provide.

Screenshot_20240304_044506_Photos.jpg

I've used those lobe profiles before. I believe that cam is a 112lsa version of the summit 6401 cam that has a 114lsa. I also believe those are older crane hp series lobes that were sourced out to second tier cam grinders. I have nothing negative to say about those cams. It should be a very reliable street cam. Probably 1 1/2 steps above a stock magnum. Will need better springs than stock magnum and will need some valve guide to retainer clearance with adjustable rockers. Clevite offered that cam at one time.

I agree that looks like the Summit grind. It is almost identical to the Crane HMV278 that I ran in my first 400. It had very good street manners, and that 400 made 415 HP and 450 TQ on the dyno.

Pretty sure only difference between this cam and the summit is lobe seperation angle.

Here's the whole label. I have googled this and summit does or did have this spec cam. What I was curious about was how those spec numbers compared to a 68 440 in a gtx or something. The motor is built and I've been driving the car for a couple years. I'm more than happy with its performance. Its just that all those cam numbers are greek to me. Im not an engine guy. The guy who built it though was concerned about compression being higher than he liked....due to the closed chamber heads and I remember him telling me something about using different springs and whatnot. I just told him to due what needed done. Lol. I'll probably never have it dyno-ed and It won't ever see a track its a fun driver. I was just curious how the motor probably compared to an oem 440. Thanks for the info gentlemen

Screenshot_20240304_105940_Photos~2.jpg

I've used those lobe profiles before. I believe that cam is a 112lsa version of the summit 6401 cam that has a 114lsa. I also believe those are older crane hp series lobes that were sourced out to second tier cam grinders. I have nothing negative to say about those cams. It should be a very reliable street cam. Probably 1 1/2 steps above a stock magnum. Will need better springs than stock magnum and will need some valve guide to retainer clearance with adjustable rockers. Clevite offered that cam at one time.
I posted a pic of the whole label and it is indeed a clevite. My dad had been collecting parts for the car and the motor for almost 20 years.

That cam will like better intake, exhaust, and some head work. It is not a high rpm cam, but should make a noticeable difference from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. Probably make a good sensible street cam for an automatic trans car. Shouldn't need loose converter or low gears. I thought about buying one once. Problem was trying to find one.

Definitely a step up from the stock magnum cam, it has around 10 degrees more duration at .050 lift and a bit more lift as well.

Definitely a step up from the stock magnum cam, it has around 10 degrees more duration at .050 lift and a bit more lift as well.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was wanting to know.

Auto Transport Service
Back