• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Six pack carb question

Diesel1276

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Im looking at a set of 1970 440 six pack carbs that are unused. The center carb is a 4144, which data states is a manual trans carb but N95? I have a 71 charger with N96 hood and of course the three nipple valve cover breather on my big block. Will this carb work or do I need 1971 specific six pack carbs! Ive read that N95 is a california carb thing for emissions. Any info would be appreciated.

IMG_1010.jpeg

IMG_0979.png

4144 is 1970 440 automatic. If it has the original float bowl it had a breather connection for you 3 port breather.

show a picture of the float bowl.

70 cars could have a 2 nipple breather, if they are not n95. Obviously 71 has 3 nipples.
I have a set of 71 carbs that are like new. 256 0 dates but my car is a 70. And not n95.
If you are buying those anyway, we should talk. Those are service package carb with the end of 71 date, so incorrect for me anyway, closer though. (Why bold?)

70 cars could have a 2 nipple breather, if they are not n95. Obviously 71 has 3 nipples.
I have a set of 71 carbs that are like new. 256 0 dates but my car is a 70. And not n95.
If you are buying those anyway, we should talk. Those are service package carb with the end of 71 date, so incorrect for me anyway, closer though. (Why bold?)
Sorry, I dont know why it was in bold . I Hate typing anyway, did it for 20 yrs in law enforcement. The carbs are all new in the holley boxes. I checked the site for holley and it said it was for manual trans? I just didnt know if it was an issue to use with my big block and four speed? Never has sixpack before. My car is not N95. Its not concours just restored to what I wanted. I can get these cheaper than a new set from Holley or Mancini or Summit so I wanted to check before the drive and cash.

Pretty sure i have new in box 4670 if you are looking for a 71 specific carb. Message me if interested.

Im looking at a set of 1970 440 six pack carbs that are unused. The center carb is a 4144, which data states is a manual trans carb but N95? I have a 71 charger with N96 hood and of course the three nipple valve cover breather on my big block. Will this carb work or do I need 1971 specific six pack carbs! Ive read that N95 is a california carb thing for emissions. Any info would be appreciated.
To answer the original question, yes, the '70 4144 with the enclosed idle bowl vent valve will work fine on the ’71 three nipple breather ECS system. No major functional difference between the ’70 California only N95 and the ’71 all federal N95 ECS systems.

Last edited:
4144 is 1970 440 automatic. If it has the original float bowl it had a breather connection for you 3 port breather.

show a picture of the float bowl.
The Holley R4144 shown (dated 3501 mfg 350th day of 1971) is a Holley aftermarket/replacement for the origional Holley 4150 R4375 (4 speed trans) OR 4376 (auto trans). The other numbers on list are correct for the years listed with minor calibration changes for auto trans vs 4 speed trans. ALL 1971 and later carbs have different center carb fuel bowls due to 50 states adoption of evaporation fuel storage methodology and a three nipple pcv inlet device....fuel vapors are stored in crank case (engine off) and are purged thru pcv system (engine running) and a fuel vapor separator at the fuel tank. Newer years, 1971 and up have different emissions restrictions for leaner operation. Additionally, the float bowl screws were hex head vs slotted head screws. N96 COLD air systems were calibrated slightly richer in off idle transitions. The front sbd rear carbs were 4160 series with fixed jet plates (metering orifices). My 1970 GTX RS23V0A****** with the N96 option used the 4150 R4375 center carb and R4382 and R4383 front and rear respectively. I've retro-fitted my end carbs with the Promax jet plates to be able to stagger jet the carbs for better fuel distribution snd more even fuel delivery. Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

The Holley R4144 shown (dated 3501 mfg 350th day of 1971) is a Holley aftermarket/replacement for the origional Holley 4150 R4375 (4 speed trans) OR 4376 (auto trans). The other numbers on list are correct for the years listed with minor calibration changes for auto trans vs 4 speed trans. ALL 1971 and later carbs have different center carb fuel bowls due to 50 states adoption of evaporation fuel storage methodology and a three nipple pcv inlet device....fuel vapors are stored in crank case (engine off) and are purged thru pcv system (engine running) and a fuel vapor separator at the fuel tank. Newer years, 1971 and up have different emissions restrictions for leaner operation. Additionally, the float bowl screws were hex head vs slotted head screws. N96 COLD air systems were calibrated slightly richer in off idle transitions. The front sbd rear carbs were 4160 series with fixed jet plates (metering orifices). My 1970 GTX RS23V0A****** with the N96 option used the 4150 R4375 center carb and R4382 and R4383 front and rear respectively. I've retro-fitted my end carbs with the Promax jet plates to be able to stagger jet the carbs for better fuel distribution snd more even fuel delivery. Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON
Not sure I’m following the 4150 & 4160 references Bob, these two-barrel carbs are known as 2300 series Holleys, some similar attributes like metering plates. The original 4144 & 4374 California only center carbs used the same bowl as ’71, with the enclosed idle bowl vent valve. Agree, that date “1” date code year, not likely to be an original 4144 ’70 production carb. Besides the later Holley aftermarket, could also have been purchased as a standard Chrysler replacement part back then, using the original Chrysler part number. I was buying these through the normal dealer parts channels well into the late seventies from the dealer I work for then, pretty cheap too I might add. They were also offered through Direct Connection later, Mopar Performance, up until the mid 2000s using a later “P” part number. The “1” date code year could be ’81,’91, or even ’01. The re-issues were list 4144 for the ’69-70 applications and list 4670 for ’71, later eventually dropping the 4144 re-issue altogether.

The mentioned change to hex-head float bowl screw started with the re-issues much later, there were some other slight hardware/fastener changes as well.

Not sure I’m following the 4150 & 4160 references Bob, these two-barrel carbs are known as 2300 series Holleys, some similar attributes like metering plates. The original 4144 & 4374 California only center carbs used the same bowl as ’71, with the enclosed idle bowl vent valve. Agree, that date “1” date code year, not likely to be an original 4144 ’70 production carb. Besides the later Holley aftermarket, could also have been purchased as a standard Chrysler replacement part back then, using the original Chrysler part number. I was buying these through the normal dealer parts channels well into the late seventies from the dealer I work for then, pretty cheap too I might add. They were also offered through Direct Connection later, Mopar Performance, up until the mid 2000s using a later “P” part number. The “1” date code year could be ’81,’91, or even ’01. The re-issues were list 4144 for the ’69-70 applications and list 4670 for ’71, later eventually dropping the 4144 re-issue altogether.

The mentioned change to hex-head float bowl screw started with the re-issues much later, there were some other slight hardware/fastener changes as well.
Sorry for the confusion.....yes....they are 2300 2 bbl design..origionally developed for GMs 435hp/.427 Corvette application. . I was trying to differentiate between the secondary carbs (similar to the 4160 design),and the 4150 primary carb. The 4140 was reissued to satisfy the OEM/AFTERMARKET. For those striving for correct appearance, (and functionality) the 4140 was an acceptable substitute, providing the external components (bowl screws, emission vent connections, fuel inlet connections shspe).....this is in addition to emission requirements. Visually, 99% of the people won't know the differences. Again, I appologize for the confusion......
BOB RENTON

I'm running a 4144 on my RR and had to lean out the idle feed restriction via Quick Fuel metering block. No other complaints. My outboards are a tad lean depending on weather and I too have the QF jet plates. One note about the jet plates. You must run a nitrophyl float (the black plastic foam thing) because they are shorter and clear the jet plate. Took a minute to figure that one out.

Auto Transport Service
Back