• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 street cam

Give Hughes Engines a call and tell them what you've got, and what you want to do. All they do is Mopar, so they take advantage of the bigger lifter diameter that Mopar's have.

Hughes Engines :: Mopar Engine Performance Parts & Manufacturing

Mark
I’m running an older Hughes grind (2330BL) in my 383 with stock exhaust manifolds and it’s great. Makes great power and idles good. A little lope, but not too ratty. If you have an automatic with stock converter, you’ll want to go a little smaller cam or get a ~2300 stall converter. Also Hughes won the “Fading Color” cam comparo article in a mopar magazine several years ago.All the vendors got to come up with their best custom cam design, Hughes beat them all by a significant margin. They know their stuff. Most cam grinders use inferior chevy or maybe ford lobes for smaller lifters. Hughes grinds mopar specific lobes that take advantage of larger lifter diameters.

The 2330 Hughes is a good cam. A couple of my track buddies ran that cam in their stockish 440. Lew, who posts here, ran that cam in a manifold motor. Maybe he'll post. I think he went 13.0s in a very stock 440 with iron heads on pump gas. In a 440, you can easily run the factory 11" converter.

Like DB stated earlier, when comparing solids to hydraulics, subtract about 8 degrees. Not necessarly exact, but pretty close. So, if you compare the Bullet cam recommendation to the Hughes 2330, they are nearly identical at the valve. The LSA might be different by a couple degrees. And lets be clear, Dave Hughes did not invent the "mopar lobe", and Hughes does not grind cams. The 2330 is an Engle ground cam. Also, the intake lobe spec.ed by Bullet to the OP is for a .904" lobe, but the exhaust lobe is not. But it is a "torque" lobe. I'm sure they did that for reasons I probably cannot comprehend.

The et and mph that I stated earlier comes from personal experiance. Stockish 440, iron head, cast manifolds, 4200 lb car stock converter, 3.23, P235 BFGs, and the MP .455" cam. That cam was 272 advertised and 221 degrees at 0.050". Car went 12.90 at 108 - 109, at 4 different Ohio tracks no less.

Let me correct something in post #22, comparing sol to hyd lobes. For a tight lash sol cam 012-014 lash ], you subtract 8*. For a wide lash cam like some of the MP cams that had 028-032 lash, you subtract 15*. And anything in-between...

The engine is being build now short block will have icon 836 pistons, molnar h beam rods with.99 pins and stock forged crank. So we should be around 9.5:1 -10:1 compression with stealths and.039 head gaskets. Car has 3.73 Dana 60 and currently a 9” j converter which be have to be switched out to something tighter

Auto Transport Service
Back