• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 stroker block Cam bearing damage

Andy440rt

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately a family member painted this 440 stroker block , got some paint in the internals then proceeded to stick a screwdriver wrapped around with a towel to clean out the paint but somehow caused this damage to the cam bearing. How bad is this ? Will I have to swap this out for a new bearing ? I have no why he did this honestly. I can feel the scratches with my nail so they are pretty deep I suppose

62924383-3644-498C-A195-874B6EFD9C71.jpeg

A6A9729A-869F-407A-AA8F-E093247BCBAD.jpeg

24677F1F-D641-43D2-B16D-DB62993F2532.jpeg

1189FBD5-4FD8-4E89-BC96-692759B0ABA3.jpeg

I doubt that will be a problem. Lots of times they actually scrape the bearing down in order to fit the cam.

Lightly polish it with some fine grain emery and go on with life.

Put the cam in with light oil, rotate the sprocket. If it turns smoothly all around, good to go. Cam bearings often don't look pretty.
A good block painting plan saves a lot of time.

Agree with what others have said above. If your cam turns smoothly, you should be fine.

Just don't make the mistake and think these statements are transferrable to main and rod bearings! The cam has very little load on it, but the mains and rods take a lot of abuse.

I would skip the emery/sand paper step. The bearings are babbitt, and will embed ANY grit applied, and will scratch the cam and possibly destroy the bearings. Just put it together and run it.

camshaft bearings are soft and have a lot of conformability designed into them. dont put any abrasives on them. i prefer assembly lube on those bearings when installing a cam.

Auto Transport Service
Back