• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 with a small block magnum starter.

I have a question that someone may be able to help me with…. I have about 6 wires going to my starter, Not sure what they are all for I really can’t remember, anyway I have a hell of a time making sure they are all on and the post is barely long enough to hold them all, my question is could I tie all the wires together in a easier location to get to, and run one , say 2 gauge wire go from that bundle to the starter? I have headers and I am sure, even tho there is no problem now, I have a very high expectation of problems soon

Why so many wires??? You should only have two, one hot battery cable and one from the solenoid.

I'm not bragging about my 1994 Dakota Sport xcab with the stock 318 starter.....trans rebuilt at 225,000 and now the motor.....got almost 275,000 now and a trailer hitch on it...and not afraid to use it !

"about" ?!?!?
More than just a couple … but like I said it is ridiculously hard to get to the starter because of the headers and I know it will fail in the future just wanted to run the idea off someone smarter than me. Oh by the way it is a 69 GTX 440 with a sniper EFI Incase that info will help

More than just a couple … but like I said it is ridiculously hard to get to the starter because of the headers and I know it will fail in the future just wanted to run the idea off someone smarter than me. Oh by the way it is a 69 GTX 440 with a sniper EFI Incase that info will help
Of all places, why the hell would someone run power wires down to the starter lug vs just going to the battery for what ever these NON FACTORY wires are for. Don't worry about how to make them all fit, just to be cooked by the headers, just wire it correctly.

So they have to be to the big lug or they wouldn’t have power in anything but the “start” position. This means whatever they power has constant voltage. Scary !! I think resolving this would be “today’s” job - or at least disconnect the battery till you can get to it !

Of all places, why the hell would someone run power wires down to the starter lug vs just going to the battery for what ever these NON FACTORY wires are for. Don't worry about how to make them all fit, just to be cooked by the headers, just wire it correctly.
Not sure what they are all for there are a few aftermarket items on this beast, I had someone put an American wire kit in it and that’s just the way the wires landed thank you for all your help I really do appreciate any advise and ideas. The vehicle is now stored for the winter, but it will be a first on the list project this spring

There's a reason so many of us run one of those starters - among them, the ease of finding a replacement if
need be (buy a rebuilt one from one of the big box stores and get a lifetime warranty!).
If the post was a problem, it'd be infamous for that.
It isn't, with a bit of common sense applied like KK says above.
Mine has been through more than one engine and 13 years with the car so far. Tough as nails.
The lifetime AutoZonedout starter that's on my 95 Dakota for over 20 years now. I had to replace the original when it was 3 and the first lifetime AZ starter lasted less than a year.

Just be aware that some of the old headers won't work with a mini starter. My ancient hookers have a tube that runs through the space that a mini needs. I'm stuck with the ancient 100 lb gear reduction Mopar starter.
I feel for you. I had to dimple my header and grind a little off the starter

Thank you all for your reply’s and suggestions, however the question remains the same. I don’t need a new starter, the wires are the problem. I just want to know if I can reroute all the wires on my starter no bundle them all together and just have one (1) wire going to the starter. Again thank you for all the suggestions, I will remember them when it comes time to replace the starter

Not sure what they are all for there are a few aftermarket items on this beast, I had someone put an American wire kit in it and that’s just the way the wires landed thank you for all your help I really do appreciate any advise and ideas. The vehicle is now stored for the winter, but it will be a first on the list project this spring

Thank you all for your reply’s and suggestions, however the question remains the same. I don’t need a new starter, the wires are the problem. I just want to know if I can reroute all the wires on my starter no bundle them all together and just have one (1) wire going to the starter. Again thank you for all the suggestions, I will remember them when it comes time to replace the starter
Typically, all those B+ wires at your starter would go to the big lug on the starter relay.
But it's hard to say, since you've rewired it with the American wire kit. As usual, pics would help us if you're unsure of what's going on.

I’m not unsure what’s going on, I know what’s happening. I just don’t like the idea of having all those wires going to the starter, it is cumbersome, and really hard to put on all the wires, hold them in place and attempt to start the nut on the starter when there is already very limited space. I was hoping there is some kind of wiring guru out there that would tell me “ hell yes, just terminate all the wires in an easy to get to location, then run a single 2 gauge wire to the main starter lug” and also have the starter relay wire hooked up to of course. That’s what I was hoping to get out of this. I will probably try it anyway and let you all know if the car burns to the ground or not
I would like to send pictures, however it is under wraps in the shop until spring, this is just a punchlist item I was hoping to hash out prior to unwrapping it in the spring.

Normally, 1 wire goes from the batt to the starter, and another from the batt to the start relay. All power gets fed from that stud. So put your extra wires on to that stud.
Hell yeah

Auto Transport Service
Back