• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 with a small block magnum starter.

Wedgeamacallit

Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
I am wanting to use a smaller starter from a small block magnum on a 440. I did a quick search online and a few people mentioned the positive terminal makes it too close to the block. Does anyone have some info to share on fitment?
Thanks

I bought a stock '90s Dakota starter. I cut about 3/16" off the terminal for better clearance from the block. I had removed the other terminal that comes on the starter.
20170617_171731.jpg

20170618_161353.jpg

There's a reason so many of us run one of those starters - among them, the ease of finding a replacement if
need be (buy a rebuilt one from one of the big box stores and get a lifetime warranty!).
If the post was a problem, it'd be infamous for that.
It isn't, with a bit of common sense applied like KK says above.
Mine has been through more than one engine and 13 years with the car so far. Tough as nails.

I agree, Jeff Peterson's post is correctomungo! I got mine from Mancini Racing. Keeps the leads away from the block.
About $20.00? My choice would be a Denso starter because they're very good quality.

On my 383/a500 setup I had to grind the starter case a bit but that's obviously a custom setup

I think I had to cut the big lug shorter on a different car once as well. They fit but sometimes you need a little nip or tuck.

My choice would be a Denso starter because they're very good quality.
Yep, that's what this old warhorse on Fred is - a reman Denso from who knows how many years ago.
Plenty of torque for a 440 AND takes some beatin' in stride, too.

Just be aware that some of the old headers won't work with a mini starter. My ancient hookers have a tube that runs through the space that a mini needs. I'm stuck with the ancient 100 lb gear reduction Mopar starter.

Just be aware that some of the old headers won't work with a mini starter. My ancient hookers have a tube that runs through the space that a mini needs. I'm stuck with the ancient 100 lb gear reduction Mopar starter.
I have Dougs headers on it for a 68 Charger. I do not see anything in the instructions about it. I do remember installing the big original style starter at the same time putting header in place. Guess I will have to give it a try and see if it is an issue.

I'm sure the mini will be fine with Doug's.
My hookers were bought at the OCIR swap meet in the early eighties. Super comp adjustable 2", with homemade flanges added for street exhaust.

I've used them on everything.Trim the stud on a BB so its flush with the nut after attaching the cable. It'll clear fine. I just installed one with Dougs headers with no problem. Funny the only clearance issue other than the studs was on a 360 magnum. A little grinding on the block near the bell housing area fixed it. There's been a stock mini on my 580 15-1 motor for 12 years.
Doug

This one will fit with ZERO clearance problems. From a Dakota I believe.
Aslo - tough to see - but it clears Dougs headers with room to spare. I think you can even wiggle it in and out without loosening them !!
IMG_6602.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

image3.jpeg

Last edited:
The main reason that the Denso starters work so well is that they have permanent magnets in them
and not field coils. No juice required to energize the field coils. They Kick ***!

How old are yours? I'm running Hooker 1 7/8" on a 400 in a 71 B body with a 90's Dakota starter and I ****-you-not this thing installed in like 3min reaching over the fender. I'm still shocked....

How old are yours? I'm running Hooker 1 7/8" on a 400 in a 71 B body with a 90's Dakota starter and I ****-you-not this thing installed in like 3min reaching over the fender. I'm still shocked....
I bought em at the OCIR swap meet, used. And Orange Co. Intl Raceway closed in 1983. Does that answer your question, LOL? (Hooker 2" super comp adjustables).
And I can get the big old Mopar starter in and out without loosening the header..... if I can lift it.

They are very reliable, mine has been in 4 years already. The best part is, there so light compared to original starter, you don't mind changing it. I bought a new one from Rock auto for about $75, they had rebuilt ones cheaper but I went for the new one.

Auto Transport Service
Back