• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 ****

would that cam be PN# 7194 ? If so what will the lift be with the rockers you have? thanks

would that cam be PN# 7194 ? If so what will the lift be with the rockers you have? thanks

Just add 10% basically for the 1.6:1 ratio rockers Vs 1.5:1 rockers, or take the cam lift "not the valve lift" {gross valve lift divided by 1.5 = camshaft lift} & multiply that by 1.6, instead of 1.5 & that will give you actual gross valve lift w/zero lash & the 1.6:1 rockers...

- - - Updated - - -

Started rebuilding the 440 for my 70 charger.

Block is a 1966 440 cid. Machine work = Bored 30 over, decked alighn honed, balanced 10 under forged crank

Is this a good start?

Looks like a great start, Nice engine ****... IMHFO I personally like almost anything aluminum, replacing cast iron, that I can use over old cast iron stuff, weight savings & runs cooler too dissipates heat much quicker... I'm personally not a big fan of the Edelbrock/Weber Carbs or their camshafts either, but love their cylinder heads & many other parts... Not that they won't work, but I personally like others much better.............. Good luck with your build, looks like a great start to something really fun....

Thank you very much tallhair for the link and the info, It has been very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm personally not a big fan of the Edelbrock/Weber Carbs or their camshafts either, but love their cylinder heads & many other parts....

I was going to run a holly six-pak but wasn't sure if they are any good at alititude, any thoughts?

I thought the Edelbrock aluminum six-pak intake would be a good start.

Yes that is the cam. Im not good with lift info, "budnicks" seems to know his stuff.

I talked to a guy at Hughes Engines and gave him the info on the stuff I was using and the part numbers and he recommended what rockers etc to use.

check out these links:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4whyyouneedourrockerarmsfontstyletexttransformuppe.php

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/3rockerarms282007.php

Thank you very much tallhair for the link and the info, It has been very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't live at too high of altitudes, only 2500tf above sea level, in the Sierra's drive up-to about 5000ft a-s-l & back down to sea level in the valley, quite a bit {not much lately thou}, I don't have too many issues running my 6bbl on my 383/479ci Budnicks
I was going to run a holly six-pak but wasn't sure if they are any good at alititude, any thoughts?

I thought the Edelbrock aluminum six-pak intake would be a good start.
see above commentin blue, IMHFO it's just a set of 2 bbl carbs, running off appr. 350cfm center carb most all the time, they all need to be tuned properly for altitude, no matter what brand or style you run or where you live, jetting, quality adj. center carb metering block, power valve if you run one, fuel supply, springs in the secondaries & replace the rear metering plates with adj. types, then 30cc or 50cc accel. pump & A Pcam selection & Accel. pump discharger nozzles/squirters sizes, are all stuff that should be tuned... I run & personally like Quickfuel & ProMaxx stuff...

Attachments

• 68 RR #24 Apr 21 2011  479ci-6bbl #11.jpg
    68 RR #24 Apr 21 2011 479ci-6bbl #11.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 427
I rebuilt my 440 about a year ago, its still running strong. Don't forget to offset your rear main seal slightly in the housing. If your oil pump drive gear is tight in the new bushing, install the shaft in a power drill chuck and run fine sandpaper on it to hone it a bit. Those are my two tips for you free of charge lol

see above commentin blue, IMHFO it's just a set of 2 bbl carbs, running off appr. 350cfm center carb most all the time, they all need to be tuned properly for altitude, no matter what brand or style you run or where you live, jetting, quality adj. center carb metering block, power valve if you run one, fuel supply, springs in the secondaries & replace the rear metering plates with adj. types, then 30cc or 50cc accel. pump & A Pcam selection & Accel. pump discharger nozzles/squirters sizes, are all stuff that should be tuned... I run & personally like Quickfuel & ProMaxx stuff...

This is a little over my head but thanks and Ill keep this info for when I do the carbs.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

So after some help and research I'm going to go with the original pump housing with an Edelbrock pump.

See how it came out :)

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 435
I am subscribed, keep the pics and details coming. There is great help here if needed.

Long block and Heads on

Long block all done!

(I Plastigaged the crank and checked and filed the rings, which toke a long time)

Also tested the oil pan and windage tray fit.

Heads are on, and now onto the timing and cam gear.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 406
Setting up the Rockers (complete with hold down kit)

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 376
aluminium also dissipates heat faster, so you might get a tad cooler too

just a little advice take your new oil pump apart and clean it.put it back together with a little white grease.and the six pack after toned you will love..........Artie

How did your Hughes hold down kit go? Have read that they are short on spacers and you have to supply your own...lots of them.
What pistons are you using?

The valve train came up good. A lot of time spent on adjusting it up and getting it spot on (not like doing a chevy 350). The hold down kit is made very good and looks strong. I did use all of the large spacers (which hughes said was normal) I used a couple of the 20 and 40 thou shims here and there but had plenty left over.

have a look in the next photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Setting up the valve train. A bit of an upgrade!

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 361
It's all fun till you have to fit headers on those eddy heads..... / angled plugs are fun....Great lookin motor!

custom lift plate

Had some time wile waiting for hughes engines to make up the push rods for the engine so i made a lift plate that will work on the six pack manifold.

Also got the all the soldiers lined up!

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 328
Push rods here and going in!

Also made a cover to go over the exhaust holes

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 284
manifold on

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 284
You did put plenty of break in lube on that cam, didn't you? The pics make it look dry...

Not meant to offend...just checkin'...

Auto Transport Service
Back