• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440s and mufflers- too Loud!!!

I have a 440/493 in my charger, 2.5” exhaust, HP manifolds, dynomax ultra flows and the drone was horrendous while taking off from a stop or cruising around town and at highway speeds. I put some glass packs at the rear and it made a huge difference. No more drone and I can actually hold a conversation inside the car now without having to yell.

Magnaflows are almost as bad, not to
mention they're overpriced and glasspack-filled
Magnaflow does make a three chambered muffler the XL3 and they are not glass pack filled.
That's what I have on my Charger and they are fairly loud even with an H-pipe and did have a noticeable drone under load at around 40.
I put super bee tips on it and that really helped quite a bit.

Helmholz resonators, hemi or Imperial mufflers, real resonators (better than glasspacks) in the tailpipes. It'll be massively better. Any one of those three will help of course. It looks like the tailpipes aren't straight so the resonators there might be a pain. For the Helmholz I'd download a frequency analyzer app for your phone to get the peak (worst) tone.

Bird has 30 year old Chrysler New Yorker mufflers on it and the Bee factory stocks from ECS. Both cars, the Wife and I can talk normally on the highway... or Atlanta track for that matter.. lol This Dart I picked up with TTI longs, 2.5 straight runs and I believe flow master 40's is gonna be another story I'm sure!

The mufflers on those old Chryslers were huge. The 440 in the motor home has no drone but the muffler would not fit anywhere on a passenger car.

Na.. Chrysler New Yorker mufflers, "jobber" units from 1990..
superbirdcleanup20182019 046.JPG

My last car had a bad drone to it. So on this one I put Dynamat everywhere including roof, quarters and doors. Then a layer of Dynaliner in roof and doors. A layer of jute padding on floor, then carpet padding and carpet. It seemed like overkill but inside the car is quiet and cool.

In my humble opinion, the best way to get a quiet, good flowing exhaust, is simple... good sized pipe and the biggest mufflers you can fit under the car.
I have a pair of flowmasters on my 62 that have no drone. But they are monsters! 5x12 case, 22 inches long, they prohably have five times as much internal volume than the typical flowmaster. Its not "quiet", but i dont need it to be. I got them, and built the system around them, for the NEXT engine that goes in the car.
Ive also got a pair of magnaflows on my other car, hooked to fenderwell headers, that are as long as i could get, and still exit in front of the rear wheels. They arent as big a case as the fm's, but they are longer.
Both systems are acceptably quiet for their application.

Just realized I have 2.5” pipe in and 2.25” out. Would that contribute to the problem?

It seems to me that nobody can predict what will, and what wont, drone. Flowmasters are famous for it, but neither of my cars with fm's drone, probably because they are huge.
I think the drone comes from a too-small muffler, resulting in too loud too. My proper solution would be bigger, longer muffler, but i dont see how a second muffler/glasspack/resonator could hurt.

Silver Bullet exhaust....4 Cadillac mufflers. That should do it!

7A78090E-ECC4-423E-96C7-5499316207D7.png

No such thing as too loud ! Look at a Harley! Lol

These are really good options. Thanks guys!

Is your car quiet? How’s the tone? Droning?
Quiet is subjective but I can have a normal conversation in the car at highway speeds now.
The tone, to me, is absolutely perfect.
The drone is completely eradicated.

Basically, it still sounds like a muscle car but doesn't drive you crazy at 70mp/h.

when i built my exhaust setup i switched from flowmaster 44 to the flowmaster flow fx series (material filled) mufflers. they are a straight thru design but have nearly de-droned the car. i was looking to quiet my car down a tad so i could sneak out in the mornings and not ruffle the neighbors. i have stock exhaust manifolds on my 440cu. everything is 2.25”

watermelon

6342374D-C80E-44A8-8513-C96C4120B177.jpeg BAA1A026-1B85-404B-9AAD-DB01F97C9E94.jpeg 4B58E5ED-45D8-4617-AC78-2DBE9815207E.jpeg 8D570877-BC8F-47E5-AAC6-E6761D726628.jpeg 963A862B-65BE-4414-8DC3-11569020CE0A.jpeg FF993ADE-9958-445E-B226-F0536F678A28.jpeg

Last edited:
My 68 Sport Satelite Convertible was driving me crazy with the drone when I got it. I have a exhaust shop at my house so changing the exhaust was no big deal. I put on a set of headers, X pipe. big body Dynomax super turbos and used Flowmaster Flow FX mufflers as resonators before the bumper. NO drone what so ever. It is pretty quiet also but that's the way I wanted it. 2 1/2 pipe.
Do you have a pic? How close are they to the fuel tank?

Summit has two resonator options that might solve the problem, by Jones Exhaust. Both are 2.25 inlet/outlet. AR3514b is 14"long case, by 3 1/2 dia, would need to be welded in cause it has no stubs, $17. The other is AR3012S-5, 17"oal, 12"case, 3"dia. This could be clamped in place, it has stubs, $21.

View attachment 1038207 View attachment 1038208 So in the last 6 months I’ve replaced flow masters with magnaflows (flow thru design) and today went with summit racing welded turbo mufflers. No difference in any of the 3 as they drone my brains out from idle to 50mph. Over 50 they are super quiet. I have stock hp manifolds and 2.5” tubing with an X pipe. The X pipe really helped and smoothed out the sound quality but droning is killing me.

I used boom mat in the trunk, package tray, on the rear seat divider board and under rear seat. What else can I do? Would headers help the droning?
Get Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers

If any part of your exhaust system (ie...a hanger/strap, anything metal) is actually touching somewhere around the floorboard area, you've created a complete sound system for the inside of the cabin area. It's the same as taking a simple tuning fork and placing it on top of an upright piano. Also, the larger the exhaust pipe diameter creates a deeper tone (like an organ pipe).

Auto Transport Service
Back