• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Charger 318/auto stock survivor...exhaust advice?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
So I've had my car for 3 or 4 years now and been tolerating the Uncle Clem exhaust system on it. Looks to be either 2.25 or 2.5" duals, no crossover, chambered mufflers (Flowmasters or clones). It's crooked. It's janky. It drones bad enough to walk your fillings out of your teeth. I'm done with it; this season, it's getting changed.

This is a stock survivor car, and it'll stay that way. 318/2, factory a/c, factory manifolds, A904, 2.76 (I think - it's TALL) open rear. It's a cruiser, not a racer. I don't want it as quiet as a Buick...but that drone has got to go!

I know TTI is supposed to be a good brand; been looking at their X pipe 2.5" with mufflers (super turbos). I also have a local shop who does custom work, quoted me about the same price - done, installed - as a TTI kit pre-shipping. They use Flowmaster FX (?) mufflers, they say they're about as quiet as the ST's since they're a packed muffler but I could probably bring them whatever muffler I wanted and have them build the system around them.

Are there any other good resources for systems? It looks like TTI has dropped their single exhaust systems completely - that was actually a consideration for me, going back STOCK on the car, but I guess that option is gone now. It's a cruiser. It's gonna stay a cruiser. If I want loud I have the dual 3" flowmaster setup on my wagon, with a NOT-stock 360...but the Charger is just for cruising and relaxing.

Any ideas are much appreciated. I'm a good installer, but I don't have any bending equipment, nor do I weld (one big regret I have in life, never learning to weld).

do you have anyone local to do it? Ask your car friends . I found a local guy and he did duel exhaust for my 318 challenger that I had and he will do the same for my 70 charger I bought last year.

I would recommend 2" dual exhaust with mufflers of your choice. No X or H connection (not needed) and routed out below the rear bumper. Pics of my 65 Coronet system attached. I use late model rubber hangers, they accept 1/2" rod.
Mike
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG

I'd just have a local shop do a 2 " separate dual exhaust with mufflers of your preference.

Hell no. If you’re hell bent on an original stock survivor put a stock exhaust system back on it, muffler, hangers and all. I know a few tube guys locally that can make it look like stock as long you show them what it’s supposed to look like, maybe you have someone close also.

If the OP doesn't have a good exhaust shop near him, I'd call Accurate & see if they have a dual system for a 318.
2.25" is probably the largest tube I'd use, 2.0" is fine for that application.
Or use 2.25" into the mufflers and 2.0" out - tailpipe size is a factor in sound volume.
Mufflers: I'd lean towards Dynomax turbos or Accurate's OEM BB replacements.

If you're looking for a stock exhaust system. Accurate Exhaust sells the full set up. They also sell a dual exhaust system for those that want to go from single to duals.

A good mandrel bent 2.5 single exhaust should work well if you want it to look stock but perform better. A super turbo or even a flow fx or magnaflow straight through type shouldn't be loud on a single system.

Auto Transport Service
Back