• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440Source Aluminum Water Pump Housing

wsutard

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have the scoop on the 440Source Aluminum Water Pump housing? I was speaking to a vendor and he "recommended that I look into it first". I was about to pull the trigger on the pass side outlet version.

I have a cast stock one but I figured saving the weight was a good idea, but im not racing.

I got one a few years ago and the thermostat housing bolt holes were off center to center. Had to die grind the housing to fit.

Following. From what I read the issue was more related to the pumps themselves.

I’ve used 2 of them. One was a blem they were selling. Die grinder fixed that one. Other one I just bolted on. Both worked fine. Source timing cover was a different story.

What I heard was that the internal passages were smaller, restricting flow. I got one from a FBBO member new from Mancini. The guy gave me a great deal too!

What I heard was that the internal passages were smaller, restricting flow.

A die grinder fixes that BUT you just can't beat a "Mopar" aluminum housing as far as being made right.

It would also surprise me if 440Source hasn't fixed the "small passage" issue on newer castings. The issue is an old one and got a lot of press so it would have been in their best interest to do something about it.

Possibly a year (or likely more than, CRS ya' know), I do believe they sold out the questionable housings in their clearance super cheap with full disclosure of the issue. I was pricing them when I came across these. As I recall they stated most users applications were fine without modifying these housings. They also described a procedure of how one could fix them should one choose to.

Worth a call to verify though.

just checked evidently still have pass side in.......
http://store.440source.com/CLEARANCE-ITEMS/products/164/

Last edited:
I've been running a 440 source aluminum housing and water pump for roughly 1.5yrs and 4k miles now on my 383 without any issues.... runs nice and cool with my 2 row ECP radiator too ! Here's a build pic ...

20161002_173659.jpg

I was gonna use the same housing when rebuilding my 440 for my bee. After researching and reading reviews I decided to stick with the stock one. Only thing that’s aluminum is my intake, it’s a daily driver. Is saving 8-10 pounds really worth it? Now if I had aluminum heads, intake and whatever else, different story.

The old issue was not the port size rather the water pump itself. For an aluminum pass side exit it seems like the way to go. I would do it, their customer service is great if there is an issue.

Thanks for all the info and links. I tried the search function but wasn't coming up with anything specific enough without reading 100 pages. Seems like the consensus is "stay away from the old 440source housings with the bad design" "new 440source housings are just fine", "stay away from their water pump".

I need pass side exit so I might be stuck with going 440source housing. Im going to take a look at FlowKooler and Milodon for water pumps.

Thanks for all the info and links. I tried the search function but wasn't coming up with anything specific enough without reading 100 pages. Seems like the consensus is "stay away from the old 440source housings with the bad design" "new 440source housings are just fine", "stay away from their water pump".

I need pass side exit so I might be stuck with going 440source housing. Im going to take a look at FlowKooler and Milodon for water pumps.

I'm happy with this Summit brand pump. Works well in AZ for my application, shop around. I wasn't sold on spending $100+ on a water pump.

I'm happy with this Summit brand pump. Works well in AZ for my application, shop around. I wasn't sold on spending $100+ on a water pump.
Good to know. I'm in Washington so I wont see near the heat you do. I probably don't need to go off the deep end on cooling.

I've used a dozen or more of the 440 Source Aluminum Pumps & Housings over the last few years, with no problems to report, they worked well.
All were Drivers side lower hoses.

There was an early on issue I believe back about 6-7 years ago ? where they were "restrictive" internally, but that was a casting design flaw long since remedied, and as was my knowledge back then, the Source had even stepped up 6-7 years back with exchanges to the new design for those who purchased the earlier flawed units.

yes they did and the problem really made little difference and could be corrected with a porting tool

Auto Transport Service
Back