• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46RH will not upshift at full throttle

Paul_G

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
The trans was rebuilt last year by a reputable shop here in Phoenix. He does a lot heavy duty diesel trans work. He told me he put a lot of the heavy duty diesel parts in my 46RH along with a shift kit.

The problem from the get go is getting the trans to shift at WOT, both second and third gears. It has a Lokar shift cable I have adjusted 10 ways from Sunday. No matter the adjustment, It will run straight to the rev limiter at 5500 and never shift.

First cable adjustment I did after installing the trans was to have the throttle lever at max travel with the carb at WOT, driving normally at normal neighborhood speeds, my 1 to2 shift was at 30 MPH, 2 to 3 at 45 MPH. I hade to adjust the cable back quite a bit to get my shift points down to a reasonable 1 to 2 around 10MPH and 2 to 3 around 20. Even then it would not upshift at WOT. Next, I adjusted the cable back even further where my 1/2 shift was around 6 MPH and 2/3 around 12. Still no upshift at WOT.

I have the OD off during all this testing.

My trans guy thinks the problem is with my cable, the adjustment, and the length of the throttle arm on the trans. What do you guys think?

I have a Bouchillon cable kit coming, $325.

Edit: the drive train

Stock 440
F1 Procharger making 6lb's boost
46RH
4.10 Dana
26" tire

Governor or valve body problem. Its not in the adjustment. Ran into this on a C6 ford diesel with some gas engine parts and a Turbo 350 gas that had some diesel parts. Diesel operates at a way lower rpm range so these parts were not compatible. Not sure what your diesel guy did.

Is the line pressure adjustment on the 46RH the same as on a 727? And where do I measure it? Just to make sure he has it set properly.

What was in front of the trans from the factory? V8,V10 or Diesel?

Governor pressure has to over come throttle valve (kickdown) pressure to make the shift. If it shifts at low speed it has some governor pressure. I'd measure that 1st. Check service manual for specs. But it's usually close to 1 psi/1mph. My bet is that governor pressure is bleeding somewhere internally. If the pressure is good I'd be looking back thru the valve body mods.
Doug

Last edited:
I do not know?
I had an issue same as you and it turned out to be a combo of valve body pressures and a higher shift rpm governor. VB was a Cope street vb and the governor was a max wedge 5800 rpm. I ended up putting the stock governor back in and it solved my problem.

Not saying that is what's going on but something to look at.

I had an issue same as you and it turned out to be a combo of valve body pressures and a higher shift rpm governor. VB was a Cope street vb and the governor was a max wedge 5800 rpm. I ended up putting the stock governor back in and it solved my problem.

Not saying that is what's going on but something to look at.
On Copes website they list many different governors by RPM rating. I called Cope, they advised to get the Bouchillon cable kit.

Yes, I told them that if the throttle lever is all the way back regardless of the adjustment it wont shift.

Which makes no sense. My trans guy here in Phoenix does not know how to fix it. Seems to me that a lower rated governor should help. They sell them. But doing the cable thing first. Maybe they have stock in Bouchillon.

Fist Id remove the rev limiter and see if it might shift at 5800, or 6000 rpm. If that doesn’t happen, I think id bring it to the rebuilder and make him help me.

Fist Id remove the rev limiter and see if it might shift at 5800, or 6000 rpm. If that doesn’t happen, I think id bring it to the rebuilder and make him help me.
I have tried to raise the rev limiter and see when it will shift on its own. Above 5000 rpm the engine starts to stumble and backfire. Ignition problem? Going lean? Dont like pushing it there until that is figured out.

I have tried to raise the rev limiter and see when it will shift on its own. Above 5000 rpm the engine starts to stumble and backfire. Ignition problem? Going lean? Dont like pushing it there until that is figured out.
That might be your problem. If adjusting the throttle position changes the shift points it means it seems to be working correctly. Depending on the governor and valve body mods/shift kit you may not have transmission problems. That motor has to do its part so the modified transmission can do its part. I would be fixing the poor running motor first.

Which makes no sense. My trans guy here in Phoenix does not know how to fix it. Seems to me that a lower rated governor should help. They sell them. But doing the cable thing first. Maybe they have stock in Bouchillon.
Has he checked the governor pressure? That is absolutely the first step in this diagnosis.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back