• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470 back from dyno

Thinking about it more..... that 5000rpm peak hp seems pretty low.

How about a couple pics of some sheets.

No way should a 500+/- hp 470 need 94 jets in a 950 carb.

Thinking about it more..... that 5000rpm peak hp seems pretty low.

How about a couple pics of some sheets.

No way should a 500+/- hp 470 need 94 jets in a 950 carb.

My initial thought too. A large venturi and/or blocked rear power valve could get you there. Just don't know enough about the carb to really comment.

440 Source kit with Trick Flow 240s, Comp XE 282s-10. Source roller rocker kit a Smith push rods. TQ 485 @ 3300 and peak 546@ 4200. HP 478 @ 5000. Tightened up lash 0.002 and gained 15HP. Running a 750 a with a Wieand dual plane. looks like the cork is in the maifold and carb. happy with the torque but wanted a bit mor HP. will get installed then play around with it later.

That Wieand dual plane is probably killing 40 hp by itself. The 750 carb is also killing some peak power but it would be a good choice for a street engine. For big power on the dyno you would need a bigger carb and a single plane intake. But big peak power on the dyno is just for bragging if the engine is going in a street car. For a street car I'd probably keep the 750 carb and use a Performer RPM intake. That would give you a pretty good combination.

If you have the money to upgrade I'd suggest selling the carb and buying a Holley Sniper system. Then you'll have computer controlled air fuel ratio and computer controlled ignition timing if you add the Hyperspark distributor. You'll also get data logging capability which will help you with the tuning process. If you can't do it now then maybe as an upgrade down the road.

If you have the money to upgrade I'd suggest selling the carb and buying a Holley Sniper system. Then you'll have computer controlled air fuel ratio and computer controlled ignition timing if you add the Hyperspark distributor. You'll also get data logging capability which will help you with the tuning process. If you can't do it now then maybe as an upgrade down the road.

I'm seriously considering this for my car.

Could you give us the cam specs? We built a 440 with the 240 TF and a 6bbl and made about 550tq/590hp
Tim%20Borrall%20440%20078.jpg

So I looked up your cam. Looks like it only has .520 lift. I used 1.6 rockers to get a lift of .620 ish with a 238/242 duration on a 112lsa. The 112 took away a little peak torque but made a flatter curve and put my peak HP at 5700-6000. I wanted that so I could use a Max wedge governor in the auto tranny so I could leave it in drive and have it shift at about 5700-5800 at WOT

Last edited:
It'd be nice to see what the power curve looks like to about 6700.

Here's my 470. Don't want to take away or get off track from the OP but he did say he wanted to have a little more HP

Attachments

• Dyno 5-bar.pdf
    233.6 KB · Views: 295
This is with the 4779 750 jetts 72 and 82 . With timing at 35 in a points distributor. LOL. When the 870 Avenger was on it picked up 20 hp. Then we tightened valve lash 0.002 and got another 12 hp. Put on the 950 HP with the bigger jets and lost 20 ft lbs with no change in HP and seemed to run a bit soggy on the bottom. The next step is the Eddy Rpm and a FBO ign with a MP style dist. Tightening the lash seems to indicate it wants more cam. Need to get some more $$.

20190218_091827.jpg 20190218_092011.jpg

I don’t know if you went higher on other pulls, but on that one...... it wasn’t done yet.
The curve was going up at the end of the pull.

As for the cam thing...... be careful of keeping the intended use of the motor, and all the support equipment in mind.
It’s easy to get caught up in chasing hp numbers on the dyno and end up with something that isn’t exactly what you’d planned on.

Could you give us the cam specs? We built a 440 with the 240 TF and a 6bbl and made about 550tq/590hp
View attachment 721753
So I looked up your cam. Looks like it only has .520 lift. I used 1.6 rockers to get a lift of .620 ish with a 238/242 duration on a 112lsa. The 112 took away a little peak torque but made a flatter curve and put my peak HP at 5700-6000. I wanted that so I could use a Max wedge governor in the auto tranny so I could leave it in drive and have it shift at about 5700-5800 at WOT
That’s gonna be a fun car!

This is with the 4779 750 jetts 72 and 82 . With timing at 35 in a points distributor. LOL. When the 870 Avenger was on it picked up 20 hp. Then we tightened valve lash 0.002 and got another 12 hp. Put on the 950 HP with the bigger jets and lost 20 ft lbs with no change in HP and seemed to run a bit soggy on the bottom. The next step is the Eddy Rpm and a FBO ign with a MP style dist. Tightening the lash seems to indicate it wants more cam. Need to get some more $$.

View attachment 721798 View attachment 721799

It is really hard on the dyno to figure out what one data point means. The 950 carb might have an issue with it for example. If the 870 carb is making the most power then ride with that one on the RPM intake. Be careful about switching out parts that are working since you can end up with a full day thrash just to get back to the baseline. And like Dwayne says, keep in mind the goal for the engine. You can spend a lot of time and money on the dyno chasing peak power numbers, but peak power is almost meaningless for a street car. Street cars rarely see peak power, they spend 90% of their time at part throttle and most of that is below 3000 rpm.

View attachment 721753

He Mentioned Comp 282S In Original Post - Solid Lifter

I see it at 0.495 Lift

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=726&sb=0

Last edited:
That Wieand dual plane is probably killing 40 hp by itself. The 750 carb is also killing some peak power but it would be a good choice for a street engine. For big power on the dyno you would need a bigger carb and a single plane intake. But big peak power on the dyno is just for bragging if the engine is going in a street car. For a street car I'd probably keep the 750 carb and use a Performer RPM intake. That would give you a pretty good combination.

I totally agree with the intake statement that Andy mentioned. That weiand is not the most favorable piece. I tried the performer on my 451 with TF240's and then switched to the Eddy RPM and picked up about 30 hp. We put an 850 with that and it really woke up the car. It maxed out @ 613hp and 625 tq with over 600tq from 3700 to 5700. For a street engine with good manners and power brakes it runs great, and the tq at low rpm where it's needed on the street was awesome with that Eddy Rpm intake. @ 2700 it has 540 tq. My suggestion from experience is go with the rpm and you'll be very happy. Good luck with your build

^^^same set up, basically, as mine. The numbers are almost identical.

It'd be nice to see what the power curve looks like to about 6700.
If you are meaning the 69 GTX engine, it wasn't designed to run at those rpm's. In fact while on the dyno we never pulled it past 6,100 rpm. Once we hit a decent tune it would consistantly hit mid 580 HP around 5,600 rpm and hold that to 6,100. Probably good enough for an air conditioned street car.

You the man Jim! Don't forget the power steering too!
I think Jim told me with a bigger cam & intake he thought it'd be capable of close to 700.
I told Jim I wanted my car to run 11.50's @ 3800 lbs. He thought it would take 550 hp to do that. I was looking for a good mannered street engine with a 6bbl and that was my criteria for the build. He gave me a extra 35-40 for insurance. It idled nicely and he made a BUNCH of dyno pulls. I was present for the last one. I was very happy with it!

If you are meaning the 69 GTX engine, it wasn't designed to run at those rpm's. In fact while on the dyno we never pulled it past 6,100 rpm. Once we hit a decent tune it would consistantly hit mid 580 HP around 5,600 rpm and hold that to 6,100. Probably good enough for an air conditioned street car.

Sure. Does not change that it would be interesting info.

I haven't had it on the road yet, but I'm pretty confident I will. According to the Wallace calculator 590hp should get me 11.20-30. I have good suspension & shocks so should be able to get it to stick.

Auto Transport Service
Back