• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

47RH trans behind a big block??? Anyone done it yet?

Altered64

Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
I got my hands on a 47RH trans for cheap, Think the OD would be way better on the highway than a 727.

I know theres an ultrabell for this swap, But I dont know about converter or flywheel!

Is anyone out there running this combo?
What parts did you use?

The Ultrabell will work with the 11 inch wide ring gear converter but you may have to do a wee bit of clearencing on the bolts depending on the casting, I have done a half dozen of these and no two are exact, had to do very minor clearencing on only two. The flexplate is the same as any other 11 inch converter Mopar. Nice trans, very strong and can be made to shift into overdrive and lock-up a variety of ways. This trans is very big through the tail area where the 727 is very small and thus requires some floor and mount work to fit into a B-body and still retain the correct pinion angle. All linkages from the 727 will bolt in at the same location, however there is no provision for the floor shift pivot bracket that bolts to the 727 tail. The cooler lines will fit too though the fittings are larger and you will have to do some adapting there.The 518 will accept the 727 yoke but the driveshaft will need to be shortened a little over 3 inches.

Ok well now I guess its time for me to hunt down a converter.

I could see this swap is going to require a lot of work just adapting everything around the trans.
Just want to make sure it can actually work before I start spending any money!

The 47RH is a lock-up trans so you will need to use a lockup converter. Pre 1996 converters have the staggered bolt pattern that will fit your flexplate, the 318 converters did not come with a weight so if your engine does not require external balance that would be the one to look for.

Just found that Hughes Performance makes a few high stall converters for the 47RH/RE.
Looks like thats the answer to my question.
Now its time to get to work on the trans itself!

???????

Isn`t the 47RH a 4 wheel drive tranny ? I`m not positive,but I thought the 2 wheel drive was the 518. Anyone know for sure ? It would be a cool swap, whatever the correct model is. DK.

The 47RH and is a version of the A518 - the A518 is the engine family but then Chrysler changed it's designation to a different system -- 4 = 4 speeds... 7 = power rating... R = RWD... H = Hydraulic shifted...

93 46RH's are non-luckups, 94-95 are lockups and they can be either 2wd or 4wd.
I got mine w/convertor for $1,090 this week from - www.NationwideReman.com
and that was shipped.

47RH is the diesel tranny and it is bigger, you would have to do a lot of modding to the tunnel to get that one to fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back