• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489 case - complete

davidplymouth1@

Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
About a new Yukon 489 case and internals for $1295.92 plus tax and FREE SHIPPING! Sorry if I'm in wrong location - This website is very difficult for me to navigate.
Curious if anyone has seen this add at eBay. I think it's a new add because I've been shopping for months now, and I've never seen it before yesterday. But it's difficult to find under normal "key-word" searches so I included the link for it. Cass at Dr. Diff says it has the cheap clutch and not the helical clutch that Dr. Diff uses. I don't know what that means. The add says "w/ sure grip-posi" and all Yukon components and case. I would very much like your thoughts on this.
Yukon Dropout Assembly, Chrysler 8.75 Diff 489 Case w/Sure-Grip LSD, 3.55 Ratio
(115757317145)
It's $1295.92 plus tax. Pic doesn't show it having a yoke installed, but it says "complete and ready to install". - Can it be shimmed properly without a yoke? Can it be mailed or shipped without a yoke? These things are so damn outrageously expensive these days. Anyway, thanks. David

Last edited:
What does Dr Diff have for prices? I would buy from him. He won’t sell junk and has been at it for decades.

Yes

Yes, why wouldn't it be able to??

Depending on what you are workin on, I'd consider this direction maybe??

Moser 60 Built to Order Rear End Package - Moser Engineering
Thanks for reply. I thought the pinion nut and yoke must installed on an 8.75 center to correctly set the pre-load and lash for the ring and pinion gear. And that the pinion gear is held in place by the yoke and nut. I mean, how would anyone know what torque to set it at for the correct pre-load and lash if the nut and yoke are removed after being torqued to what ever it should be for a crush sleeve? And if it has shims instead of a crush sleeve - what would keep the pinion gear from coming loose and shifting around during shipping? What would hold it in place if there's no yoke or nut to hold it in place? Or if the yoke I use is slightly different from what they use to set it in the first place? Wouldn't the newly changed pre-load depth change the lash too? Is that wrong? I'm just not well versed on Chrysler 8.75 centers. If my GM rear didn't have a yoke and nut on the pinion gear, it would be able to move back and forward and definitely get damaged in shipping for sure. I don't have a Dana rear so the 60 option won't work for the 8.75 housing. The 741 I had broke apart in the middle and damaged the ring and pinion along with the clutch pack. That's why I'm searching for a 489. They're just so expensive.

What does Dr Diff have for prices? I would buy from him. He won’t sell junk and has been at it for decades.
Dr. Diff, AKA Cass is $1800 for a complete Yukon 489 sure grip. Might as well just call it Two thousand dollars. Heh, Heh. Just so expensive.

You can replace yokes on a 489 case diff without changing the setup.
If it is shipped without a yoke, the pinion has nowhere to go but to mesh a few thousands of an inch tighter to the ring gear.... i can not imagine any damage, as long as it is packaged properly so nothing can shock load the end of the pinion threads or chip a tooth on the ring gear.....they would have to be pretty careless, which could damage any pumpkin, yoke or no yoke.

That price is pretty close to what I would charge to build one from a used factory case. I really don't understand the yoke delete deal. They don't cost that much so why wouldn't they include it.
Gus

Yes you do need the yoke to set it up right. But it wouldn’t hurt it to ship with yoke off as long as you don’t hit the shaft.

But that’s not how you build a new rear end. I wouldn’t buy from a place like that.

why is theirs $500 cheaper? Different sure grip we already know.

***EDIT***

I had not realized.... this thread is a total repeat of the exact same golden information given weeks ago regarding the same guy/issue.
There was no need to start a new thread.

489 Case information please.

What I still don't know is whether he tore up a Sure-Grip in a 741 or 742 case?? If he has a good 742 case, I would just rebuild it, and likely use Dr.Diff's helical unit with the gears of choice (if it were mine). No need to seek out a 489 case....you are NOT going to break a 742 setup with a plain small block car, nor would you break a 741 case. I suspect your old Sure-Grip needed some service given the mileage and just did'nt get it until it broke??? If you had a 741 case, it would likely be too difficult to find the needed stuff to rebuild, and you'd have a bunch of cash in the non-desirable unit, although still plenty tough for your use.

The suggestion to go Dana60 was if you had a higher power car, or could afford to do the job and avoid most set-up and just bolt it in.... can even use your old brakes most likely.

Best of luck, Lefty71

You can replace yokes on a 489 case diff without changing the setup.
If it is shipped without a yoke, the pinion has nowhere to go but to mesh a few thousands of an inch tighter to the ring gear.... i can not imagine any damage, as long as it is packaged properly so nothing can shock load the end of the pinion threads or chip a tooth on the ring gear.....they would have to be pretty careless, which could damage any pumpkin, yoke or no yoke.
Oh, Ok. Thanks very much for taking to write and setting me straight about that.

That price is pretty close to what I would charge to build one from a used factory case. I really don't understand the yoke delete deal. They don't cost that much so why wouldn't they include it.
Gus
Yes I agree, that would alleviate my shipping concerns. I'm supposed to get an answer from them today when I get home from work. I'll let cha know if it was a "typo" or if they really ship that way or what ever. it's a great price compared to all others I've seen on-line.$1295.92 It's more comparable to prices like a year ago.

***EDIT***

I had not realized.... this thread is a total repeat of the exact same golden information given weeks ago regarding the same guy/issue.
There was no need to start a new thread.

489 Case information please.

What I still don't know is whether he tore up a Sure-Grip in a 741 or 742 case?? If he has a good 742 case, I would just rebuild it, and likely use Dr.Diff's helical unit with the gears of choice (if it were mine). No need to seek out a 489 case....you are NOT going to break a 742 setup with a plain small block car, nor would you break a 741 case. I suspect your old Sure-Grip needed some service given the mileage and just did'nt get it until it broke??? If you had a 741 case, it would likely be too difficult to find the needed stuff to rebuild, and you'd have a bunch of cash in the non-desirable unit, although still plenty tough for your use.

The suggestion to go Dana60 was if you had a higher power car, or could afford to do the job and avoid most set-up and just bolt it in.... can even use your old brakes most likely.

Best of luck, Lefty71
I just saw this - Yeah - the Dana 60 would crush my wallet into oblivion. LOL The 741 case looks to be ok. I mean I didn't really look that closely at it. I just pulled the center out and saw the clutch busted apart and it messed up the gears too. I think it probably just really old. The motor is nothing radical. Anyway, one of my buddies here in town, said the 489 is the best I can do without changing to a dana 60. Most of my cars have been GM - And any rear end "to me" anyway, is like a magical component that just completes the puzzle. I feel like "Joe Dirts" dad... "How does it work? - It just does" LOL

Glad we cleared that up . :steering:

LOL yeah. So that 489 store on ebay replied to me and says he won't or can't add the yoke. I have to put it on. It ships loose, but in a box. Not very comforting. And Dr diff is asking me if I have green or cone bearings? Not sure what that means. The axle bearings, I guess... but what difference would that make. I thought the bearings in the case were cone shaped. I really don't care what bearings he uses in the case as long as they're good ones. Does it matter? I really don't understand that part of it, and I feel like I'm getting dumber by the second. Heh, Heh. The last case I did - I just gave it to our local Chrysler guy - he built it - then gave it back with new gears, bearings, yoke, and a true trac and that was it. $1800 but that was 2 years ago. I hate to think what it costs now. I might just have to swallow the big pill and go back to him again. but at least he's local and I can go right back if there if there's any problems. All of this on-line stuff makes me uneasy to start with. And that eBay rear was very weird. Like u said why not include the yoke. I offered to pay $200 for the extra cost and he still said no. Kinda wierd. I'll just have to be patient - the right one will find me when it's time. Thanks for your help bro. I appreciate it very much.

Just FYI - After everyone's input -I went with DR Diff's 489. Total cost was $1601 after tax and shipping for the new complete assembled 489 Yukon case - w/helical "sure -trac ll" purchase date Nov 28 ,2023. Thanks for all of your help. I'll add more info if it's bad or some other problem. But everyone seems to really like Dr Diff - "Cass", so I feel hopeful that it will be ok. He was $200 cheaper than the local guy that I usually go to.

Just FYI - After everyone's input -I went with DR Diff's 489. Total cost was $1601 after tax and shipping for the new complete assembled 489 Yukon case - w/helical "sure -trac ll" purchase date Nov 28 ,2023. Thanks for all of your help. I'll add more info if it's bad or some other problem. But everyone seems to really like Dr Diff - "Cass", so I feel hopeful that it will be ok. He was $200 cheaper than the local guy that I usually go to.
I think you will be very happy because Cass doesn't sell junk.
Gus

I would have built one with a used housing and new innards and saved $600+.

But that's me...

Auto Transport Service
Back