• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

493 Stroker intake selection..

Woodie

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on intake selection for my 440/493 stroker. I will give some details on my combo. Engine build is a 440/493 10.5:1 Eddy performer RPM heads, Howard's Hydraulic FT 248/254 @050 580/590 lift on a 108 lsa. 950 QFT. Ignition is an MSD 6 plus with no advance. Car is a 67 B-body. Dana 60 with 4.10s and a 9.5 Dynamic converter that flashes @ 4800. Tire is a 29" tall.

Single plane all the way. Victor,Trick flow,etc should be high on the list. If hood clearance is an issue then the M1 or street dominator may give up some hp but will still perform well.

Hood clearance is always an issue if you want to run the stock hood with a single plane but I agree with 496. A low deck 383/400 build helps. Just that much lower.

493 cubes is going to have tq just from cubic inches alone & this will offset the normal loss of tq you get with single plane intakes.
I would use the M1 single plane or Torker. Both will produce best power at an rpm slightly below the quoted rpm because of the extra cubes they have to feed.

Holley street dominator will give the best hood clearance.
If you don't care about hood clearance, then there are several good taller intakes.
The Edelbrock RPM would work if this is more of a street build, but with your gear and converter a single plane should perform best.
The old Mopar M1 is good with a spacer to increase plenum volume.
I haven't used the newer Victor or Trick flow intakes, but they should work too.

The Holley SD intake has a 5500 limit with 440 cubes. It would be a poor choice with a 493 that has 4.10 gears & a 4800 rpm c'ter.

I'd like some opinions on intake selection for my 440/493 stroker. I will give some details on my combo. Engine build is a 440/493 10.5:1 Eddy performer RPM heads, Howard's Hydraulic FT 248/254 @050 580/590 lift on a 108 lsa. 950 QFT. Ignition is an MSD 6 plus with no advance. Car is a 67 B-body. Dana 60 with 4.10s and a 9.5 Dynamic converter that flashes @ 4800. Tire is a 29" tall.
Question: Are you stating "locked" distributor with no mechanical advance or no vacuum advance canister?
I have almost the same combo in my 66 Belvedere wagon. I do use a Hughes solid flat tappet cam, their recommended pick (older model).
I do have a 6 pack intake though. It made 453 HP at the wheels.
Mike
no advance

Question: Are you stating "locked" distributor with no mechanical advance or no vacuum advance canister?
I have almost the same combo in my 66 Belvedere wagon. I do use a Hughes solid flat tappet cam, their recommended pick (older model).
I do have a 6 pack intake though. It made 453 HP at the wheels.
Mike
Hi Mike. Yes I locked it out. The box I am using has start retard. I also have no hood clearance issues, as I have an A990 scoop that is taller than stock. I'm looking to achieve good fuel distribution. My tune up will be top priority. I just have no experience with any of the Other optioned intakes like Trick flow or Indy ect.

Im afraid that you have too much gear and converter for a street 493. Its likely to spin too much and go through its usable power band too quickly.I base this on my friends similar 505 where he ended up replacing his 4.10 gear with a 3.55 which works much better. Your torque will be so high that you wont need to multiply it so much i.m.o. Your set-up would work better with a typical street/strip 440 me thinks. Good luck in any case.

@Woodie

Is this a street car, race car or street/strip? I can’t offer an opinion on the intake selection but FWIW I think you might want a tighter converter if it’s a street or dual purpose build. Dynamic built me a 9.5” that flashed around 4800, it was sub-optimal on the street with the same 4.10 gear ratio and 29” tires. I sent it back to Dynamic where they replaced a stator and tightened it up, it now flashes to around 3500. Drivability is much better, especially at part throttle.

And what size engine/tq number is the quoted 4800 rpm stall speed. 350 Chebby?

As the engine tq increases [ & it does with more cubic inches ], the stall rpm increases.

I’ve used the Holley SD on my 508. Peak power at 5700-5800 and pulls nicely to 6300. About the same size cam as yours.

It might not be the best intake, but it will fit under the hood and certainly support 600 hp.

I’ve used the Holley SD on my 508. Peak power at 5700-5800 and pulls nicely to 6300. About the same size cam as yours.

It might not be the best intake, but it will fit under the hood and certainly support 600 hp.
Definitely pulls more rpm than an RPM , in my testing. Quicker ET, more mph. In a proper setup car of course.
A bone stock intake for comparison would be around 5500 .

Im afraid that you have too much gear and converter for a street 493. Its likely to spin too much and go through its usable power band too quickly.I base this on my friends similar 505 where he ended up replacing his 4.10 gear with a 3.55 which works much better. Your torque will be so high that you wont need to multiply it so much i.m.o. Your set-up would work better with a typical street/strip 440 me thinks. Good luck in any case.

Convertor might be a tad loose for the cam but I Run a similar combo in my roadrunner with a 4.10 and a 9.5” vert with shorter 28” tall tires. Works very well.

Big single plane with a big carb. I’d put a 4500 series M1 on it with a 1050 dominator. Use a more modern intake if hood clearance isn’t an issue.

Last edited:
And what size engine/tq number is the quoted 4800 rpm stall speed. 350 Chebby?

As the engine tq increases [ & it does with more cubic inches ], the stall rpm increases.
I know it flashes at 4800 because it's my ride. The vert was built to my combo.

Dynamic seems to be recommending 4800 for these kind of builds now. It seems they feel they have a handle on getting it tight enough that the driving aspect works good yet. Our Dynamic was suppose to be 3800...it stalls at 4300. We have a similiar combo to the op...no complaints on the M1 rb single plane for that kind of build. However, before this intake and carb were on the 510 it was on a roller cammed 440 and ran out of steam at 6500 or so...so we upgraded to a 4500 M1.

We have had decent results with the weiand rb team G. They can be picked up used cheap. It is probably not the top dog by any stretch of the single plains. But it's a decent intake.

With a hood scoop and no clearance issues.. I would consider a trick flow track heat. Especially, if the heads were ported. Stock..I like the M1.

Last edited:
TFS Track Heat manifold with TFS 240 heads on a 500 inch stroked 400. 1.5" dropped base air cleaner with a 2-5/8" filter. Gives me about .5" clearance under the stock, relatively flat, Road Runner hood.
A 2" drop base air cleaner would interfere with the throttle linkage.

IMG_3568.jpg
IMG_3569.jpg

TFS Track Heat manifold with TFS 240 heads on a 500 inch stroked 400. 1.5" dropped base air cleaner with a 2-5/8" filter. Gives me about .5" clearance under the stock, relatively flat, Road Runner hood.
A 2" drop base air cleaner would interfere with the throttle linkage.

View attachment 1597224View attachment 1597225
Sweet!
The Rb track heat is supposedly 1/2" taller then the B, so it's tight on a stock hood.
We have our M1 rb single plane under the hood with a drop base. But, I can't remember what air cleaner is. Once upon a time we had MP stage VI heads with intake spacers and the M1 in our charger...and have the dent in the hood from the wing nut to remind us how tight it was!

Last edited:
The OP wrote (in Post #8), "I also have no hood clearance issues, as I have an A990 scoop that is taller than stock. I'm looking to achieve good fuel distribution." so he can probably run pretty much any intake that suits him. His primary question was for good fuel distribution. I have a personal preference for a certain intake but have no information on how the fuel distribution is in comparison to other intakes. I seem to remember a magazine 'shoot out' article comparing different intakes but can't recall if it included flow/distribution numbers. Hopefully someone can give the OP the info he is looking for.

This is overall average from hughes..but no dist. Among cylinders is listed. They obviously like the victor. Older list no track heat on here.

Screenshot_20240209_130541_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240209_130602_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240209_130624_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back