• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4150 vs 4500 Indy single plane intake…pros and cons

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
I’ll preface this by saying I have both 4150 (950 ultra xp Holley and a QFT Q950) as well as a 4500 carb (king demon RS with 995-1150 venturis) for my 512 stroker. I have heard 4150s will be more streetable, or at the very least the dominator will take more work to dial in. My build is at around 10.5:1 with a 713 voodoo cam, trick flow 270s with 1.6 ratio T&D rockers and TTI 2 1/8” step headers (on order).

Now that I found out my intake was milled, I would ideally buy another. Mancini racing has both patterns in stock.

I probably will just plan on running a 4150, but I know some of you have suggested running the adapter for a 4500 on a 4150 manifold. I assume it acts like a carb spacer.

My question is, is it better to get the 4500 intake and adapt that down to a 4150 to have both options, or buy the smaller 4150 intake and run the 4500 adapter? Hood clearance isnt a big deal since I have a fiberglass 68 dart hemi scoop that is going on the car.

If I’m out another $600, I’d prefer to get the best part for my application. The 4150s seem more practical for street from what I have read, but the dominator looks badass.

The big plenum 4500 is best suited for a MAX effort 572 application. With 572-13 heads.
AFAIK.
I would go with the 4150.

You could certainly run thicker intake gaskets or even
double ones to make up for the milling and it would
work fine! No real need for an intake replacement.

The 4150 are way easier to tune for a street car and only a
bit slower in you application,

Some 4150s , the high zoot ones, have slotted mounting holes so they can be used on a dominator manifold. Do yours? If so, you could run anything on the dominator manifold.
But the reverse is true also, can run the dominator on a 4150 with an adapter, and I HAVE heard of them making more power that way than a true dominator manifold.
I would check out Superformance gaskets. They probably have, or can make, thicker max intake gaskets to use your manifold you already have.
I think I would run the 4150 manifold, and then play with the dominator and spacer, to see what you like.

I have a similar 512 with 270’s, 11.5 to one, 1.6 rockers, 4200 stall converter and 4.10 rear gear. I run a Indy single plane 4500 base with max wedge runners and a ProSystem 1100 cfm Dominator. Drive it on the street in the warm months. No real issues driving my set up on the street.

IMG_8841.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back