• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 hemi in a 63 belvedere

4dr4ever

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
So I've been working away steadily getting everything I need. I'm cheap @$$ so everything I'm trying to get is on the cheap Luckily for my I'm a vehicle salvage dismantler so I take cars apart for a living. This past week I got my hands on an 06 hemi Charger.

So Being me I gutted the wiring harness out of the car and bought it from work. I have two harness' now one from the charger and one from an 08 hemi truck as well as their respective computers.

I also have a 2008 Hemi complete that I found and purchased for 100 bucks off kijiji because the guy wanted to get rid of it and it had a slight knock in the bottom end. I pulled it down and found a snapped rod, pretty basic bearings were perfect everything looks good. Weighed my options and I think that likely the rest of the rods make me nervous so I once again happened across a 2010 dodge truck that had a severe front end collision. The intake was destroyed so we parted the motor out. The block was perfect so I purchased the short block for 100 dollars. Could potentially run into the rod issue again but the 08 block I had was over 100000 kms, and the new shortblock is only about 35000.

So that basically sums up my engine other then one custom factor I'm planning but I'll get into that later.

I'm trying to figure out what tranny to run. I have a 545rfe that was just a stock rotation and I picked up cheap. but I also have access to a w5a580(NAG1) that I can get cheap as well. I know there are some issues with speed sensors and such with that but with my 63 I want to try and run a 8 3/4 for rear gearing selectability. does anyone know of a good way to make that work?

I like the w5a580 better then the 545rfe because of its size. it seems like I could leave the tranny tunnel more factory size.

Biggest thing I'm dealing with is the wiring. I need to try and find a good wiring schematic for ether harness.

as for the intake I said I'd talk about later this is the inspiration for it
1961_Dodge_Seneca_413_Max_Wedge_Sedan_Engine_1.jpg

The plan is individual runners that bolt to the engine for easy removal, and some aluminum boxes to bolt the throttle bodies to that will be linkage driven and likely an older magnum throttle body style.

I've been digging into this and It seems like the easiest way to make this whole w5a580 work would be to adapt a factory rear diff out of the same type of car work with the sensors in the wheels and rear diff.

w5a580 needs the wheel speeds to function and the sensor in the diff to function. I'm just thinking maybe adapting the rear hubs axles and diff into my 63 would work best for making this project function and then using the wheel sensors off both rear wheels to confuse the tcm into thinking I have the whole wheel sensor system.

They dont call it the "nag 1" for nothing!lol! The 545rfe is gonna suit ya better, but tunnel and torsion bar crossmember mods will be in order.

Look at my thread, late model hemi into early b bodies, that might help ya out.

They dont call it the "nag 1" for nothing!lol! The 545rfe is gonna suit ya better, but tunnel and torsion bar crossmember mods will be in order.

Look at my thread, late model hemi into early b bodies, that might help ya out.

The student has now become the teacher.....:icon_pray:

I'm not sure about that Mr. Myagi...lol!

Rumor has it there's a tailshaft for the 545rfe that uses a gear driven speedo output? Anyone?

I think street and performance(hotrodlane.cc) might have something for ya.

Yeah I contacted them about it. I think I have the patience to wait for one to come through work. since their just selling a factory tailshaft housing. I'll just wait til I find a junk 2wd tranny.

Found a guy over on cuda-challenger.com that adapted a w5a580 to work in his cuda. Using an aftermarket controller. I like the w5a580's reputation and gear ratios it's been used in porsches and mercedes, and the gear ratios are really nice.

So I decided to take on a somewhat simpler hemi swap project first. I have an 81 crew cab dodge that has a tired old 318 that probably barely coughs out 150 hp. Anyways. I purchased a complete harness with computer, dash harness, and instrument cluster. Basically I'm going to swap the entire setup in as factory minus a few unneeded wires and connectors.

Drivetrain will include an 08 5.7L Hemi followed by a 545RFE and a np208 transfer case which will then feed a Dana 44HD front and a Dana 60 rear axle with 4.10 gears.

stripped down 5.7 hemi block:
9a263035.jpg

one busted valve:
3924176a.jpg

cylinder number 1 has the busted valve number 3 had a big chunk of plastic melted to the exhaust valve
cd8cd264.jpg

number 1 piston damage:
c706657d.jpg

8e562072.jpg

626a78e6.jpg

number 2 piston damage:
f36acfcc.jpg

I have a 2010 engine block. I might try and swap the crank rod and pistons into the 08 block. since the 2010 block has less then 10thousand Km on it.

The 2010 short block has VVT and a different crank tooth count and sensor. The rods out of the 2010 will work in the 08 with the 2010 pistons given you will be using the 2009 and up Eagle style of heads. The 2010 crank in the 08 block is a bad idea depending on what you are going to use for an ecm.

I happened across a 07 charger for cheap that has the rear axle. So in addition to the 5.7/NAG1 swap I'll be swapping in the rear axle/seats/brakes from the 07 charger which should make for a heck of a cool 63 Plymouth.

Believe it or not small block 904 or 727 trans will bolt to the new 5.7 hemi. A buddy of mine has a 69 rr with a 5.7 hemi and 904 trans. Its bad a@*. Just throwing that out there.

I happened across a 07 charger for cheap that has the rear axle. So in addition to the 5.7/NAG1 swap I'll be swapping in the rear axle/seats/brakes from the 07 charger which should make for a heck of a cool 63 Plymouth.

Where on earth did you find a hemi charger for cheap?

Believe it or not small block 904 or 727 trans will bolt to the new 5.7 hemi. A buddy of mine has a 69 rr with a 5.7 hemi and 904 trans. Its bad a@*. Just throwing that out there.

I want modern, hence the 5.7. If I was going to go the easy way, I would just stick with the slant six push button 727 rather then a 5.7 auto and having the push button operational.

It's not a hemi charger its just a 3.5 auto. Same tranny as the hemi nag1 so I've got all the bits to hook up the bits. I'll have to do alot of customizing to make it all fit but looking forward to it

I found a 2005 5.7 Hemi out of a ram complete from accesories to starter with harness and PCM with the 545rfe transmission, supposedly with 4000 miles picking the combo up for $1100.00 and it's going into my 69 Charger Daytona clone!!!
Deals are out there.

I found a 2005 5.7 Hemi out of a ram complete from accesories to starter with harness and PCM with the 545rfe transmission, supposedly with 4000 miles picking the combo up for $1100.00 and it's going into my 69 Charger Daytona clone!!!
Deals are out there.

Most come with luck tho lol that will be a cool daytona

Deals are out there.

Oh I know they are, I picked up my 03 Hemi with 60k on it, 04 computer and part of the 03 wiring harness (missing a connector) for $600. I just can't find a deal like that on a car...I was hoping to find a complete donor so I could rob things like brake boosters, new style seats, etc.

I like doing it this way because I get my parts, sell off the rest and get everything for free. Its how I am able to do this, because lord knows the economy keeps my budget in check.

One thing to remember is the charger I bought if from a salvage yard. So It's missing quite a few things, mainly the 3.5L and Nag1, and a bunch of bodypanels. Thats why i got it so cheap.

Interestingly enough I took a look at the spindles and hubs from the charger in the front it's a terribly simple Idea and could in theory be adapted to the 63 I have.

The hubs are almost exactly the same as the hubs that are on my 63 but a little bigger in all directions. But the main thing is that the only real differences are the bearing types their sealed ball bearings instead of the old style taper bearings. and the inner edge of the hub has a sealed area which interacts with the wheel sensor. It's just an early thought but I'm going to look into a way of making the 07 hub and wheel sensor work on the 63 spindle. The Charger computer and transmission computer might be usable if I can make these components all work.

Auto Transport Service
Back