• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.9 Magnum swap questions.

Lauterec

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
Swapping a '97 5.9 Magnum (with ECM) in my '78 Magnum with it's attached 46RE. I have a complete LA 360 at my disposal for parts. I have a couple of questions. I know I am going to need the oil pan off the LA motor, but can I also use the LA oil pump? Or do I need to get an aftermarket one for it to be compatible? I'm assuming I can't use the Magnum one as it's probably too deep. Second question is the mechanical fuel pump. I know the Magnum is not compatible with it, but I read somewhere that I can put an LA timing cover (which I have) and a "snout extension" for the cam to run the mechanical pump. Obviously the other option is buying an electronic fuel pump. I don't know what the better move is, I would like to do whatever is more reliable, and honestly I don't even know what a snout extension is, this is my first build. If someone could point me in the right direction and maybe send me a link or part number for said better direction, I would be very thankful.

Putting a Magnum into your Magnum?
The did that. This is what is needed to be done from where you stand.

The oil pumps are the same, swap pick ups from the truck to the passenger pick up to match the oil pan.

Next, below, is a nice to know, but you don’t need it thing.

Hughes engines has a snout adapter to bolt on to the Magnum cam for use with a mechanical LA style fuel pump with the LA front cover and associated parts.

The LA fuel pump is for carbs. And there just OK & fine at best, for a carb! If the pump has to drag up fuel from the tank, it will take a long time. A short time but still a long time in waiting for dry fuel carb bowls.

Below. This is what you need to know/find out about.

An electric fuel pump is what you need. There are many manufacturers and one of them I have read about offers an option of a “In Tank Fuel Pump” which makes that pump as quite as it gets. IIRC, Tanks Inc. is the place.

Double check other “Fuel Injected” threads here on FABO, unless someone answers you quickly here.
Several of the FBBO members have done this.

OH! The lower radiator hose may end up being a minor fitting problem. The location of the water pump lower pick up is slightly altered vs the LA. I just used the LA lower radiator hose and trimmed to fit.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with an LA 360 intake but when I swapped a 5.9 for my LA 318 the intake was drilled at a different angle.
I put in an electronic pump with a return line.
Just my $0.02

Swapping a '97 5.9 Magnum (with ECM) in my '78 Magnum with it's attached 46RE. I have a complete LA 360 at my disposal for parts. I have a couple of questions. I know I am going to need the oil pan off the LA motor, but can I also use the LA oil pump? Or do I need to get an aftermarket one for it to be compatible? I'm assuming I can't use the Magnum one as it's probably too deep. Second question is the mechanical fuel pump. I know the Magnum is not compatible with it, but I read somewhere that I can put an LA timing cover (which I have) and a "snout extension" for the cam to run the mechanical pump. Obviously the other option is buying an electronic fuel pump. I don't know what the better move is, I would like to do whatever is more reliable, and honestly I don't even know what a snout extension is, this is my first build. If someone could point me in the right direction and maybe send me a link or part number for said better direction, I would be very thankful.
Working on doing the exact same Magnum swap.
Using the factory EFI and A518 OD.
Did you fit the over drive into the car?
From what I see on our cars the OD is past the
torsion bar cross member, only the rear trans mount
would need to be fabricated.
Please update your progress. Thanks

Remember the Magnum water pump rotates in the opposite direction if you ditch the serpentine setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back